Advice needed! What path should I take?

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

medic2doc

Re: Advice needed! What path should I take?

Post by medic2doc »

Dr. F,
Thank you for the response. It was extremely helpful and informative. I feel more hopeful considering the fact that my undergraduate studies did not include any of the prerequisites for med school. I have the classes that I will need for pre-med charted out and will begin taking them this Summer semester. In the meantime, I will work on fostering relationships with the physicians I work with, and will inquire about research assistant opportunities at my school. Thank you again for taking the time to respond to my question!

Jonathan

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DOdoc »

You bet! Good luck, and check back in as you advance in your pursuits and certainly post more questions as they come. More likely than not, you'll end up doing just fine as long as you develop a reasonable plan and stick to it.

--thousands do it each year--

Take care and again, best of luck!

medic2doc

Post by medic2doc »

Hello DOdoc,
You were very helpful in answering my previous question, and I'd like to ask you another one. I'm trying to put as much distance between my undergrad from CSUSM that I achieved with a low gpa as I can. I would like to make myself competitive both in the eyes of a med school admissions committee, and also set myself up for success in med school itself. One option that has presented itself to me is completing a second bachelor's degree, this time in biology. National University has an accelerated bachelor's program for biology that I am eligible for. They would count all of my previous schooling, teach me all of the courses that are required for a biological degree (which incidentally are those required by the AMCAS with some extras), and the entire program would only take me 2 years. Right now I am trying to knock out the required courses at the local community college, but it is slow going (because of the difficulty of getting into impacted classes) and am wondering if a second bachelor's from a university would make my resume and experience more compelling to an admissions committee. You mentioned that you had served on a committee and I'm sure you will be able to offer some valuable insight into my decision. Also, I have heard great things about National University, but from your standpoint do you feel it is respectable in terms of pre-med education? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

dredwinf
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by dredwinf »

Good luck, and check back in as you advance in your pursuits and definitely post additional queries as they are available. additional possible than not, you may find yourself doing simply fine as long as you develop an affordable set up and persist with it.

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DOdoc »

Hi,

Sorry, I just now read your post so I apologize for the delay in responding. To be honest, I think either path you choose will be fine. Keep in mind however, that even though you are putting distance between the present and the past, the past will likely still have some impact. When you complete your medical school application, usually you are required to report all of your scores from a certain time period forward (to be honest, it's been so many years now I just don't recall how far back you have to report).

What will happen though is that you'll enter all of your classes into an automatic application and it will then tally your M/S GPA as well as the other GPA for all of your other classes. When you submit your application, the medical school will make a determination whether or not you meet the minimum criteria for their school. If you do, then you will receive a secondary application. If selected for interview, the admission committee won't see your grades at all...they only thing they will know is that you met the criteria for admission and that's it.

So really, as long as you meet their criteria, I don't see that it matters much how you "get there". Just be sure that you get the grades you need and take the classes you need to take. If you can do that in a shorter amount of time without jeopardizing those grades I don't see why you shouldn't. But specifically, the impact of that on the admission committee will be minimal to nil because again, they won't see that work and it's best to avoid ANY discussion of poor previous performance during the interview unless (for some really bizarre reason) it became a topic.

Hope that helps!
Dr. F.