Moral Support

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

AppStateAlex

Moral Support

Post by AppStateAlex »

Hi everyone,

I am having some problems at home, with family and friends, not being supportive of my career choice in medicine. It seems like when you tell someone that you want to go to medical school, they automatically assume that it can't be done. I read this forum everyday and look for advice and tips. I am a non-traditional student getting a late start. I have a 3.7 GPA and I'm already practicing the verbal reasoning section of the MCAT, even though I'm not taking it for another 2 years. I am just looking for anyone who is having the same issue so that we can talk to one another. I am looking for moral support and someone to share ideas with. Contact through this forum or by private message would be great. If anyone is interested, please don't hesitate to message me. Also, any tutors or doctors reading this post, you are more than welcome to message me back too. It would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

FutureDocStigen
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Moral Support

Post by FutureDocStigen »

I am experiencing this as well. I've just stopped caring about what others think, and in no way let it determine my decision. Of course it was nice at first to hear comments about medical school or the profession from those working in the field (doctors, nurses), but it got very annoying with the "it's such a long haul is it really worth it at your age" comments from friends and family. I've had a few people, who do not even work in the medical community, tell me that they don't accept people in their mid-thirties to medical school. I've learned that many people like to speak with authority on things they really don't know about. Instead of getting more annoyed, I've begun to channel my frustration into finding humor in some of the advice I've been given by others. I've stopped defending my decision and just smile politely when I get the countless "You should become an RN or a PA instead" comments. I know it won't stop until I'm done with school. And I'm okay with that.

AppStateAlex

Post by AppStateAlex »

Thanks for the reply! I have not had anyone tell me anything about early to mid-thirty year old students not being accepted to medical school. I believe that to be untrue. It sounds to me like the people who told you that have no business giving advice to pre-medical students. It almost seems like telling someone I want to go to medical school is a taboo, in a sense. I get reactions like I shouldn't have ever been thinking a thought like that. I am all about ignoring the "nay-sayers" and proving to them, and myself, that I can go to medical school and become a great physician. At the same time, we all need at least one person who will believe in us. So to anyone responds or reads this post, I will be that person if you don't have one. If you have the ambition, are willing to work to achieve the grades and the experience you need and genuinely care about people and a career in medicine, I don't see any reason you couldn't get into a medical school somewhere. I am also here to share ideas and experiences with anyone who needs support that way too.

cna dude

Post by cna dude »

With well paid/popular/high flying jobs you will always get people telling you "it can't be done" or maybe you should be "more realistic". I had a friend who told his careers adviser he'd like to become a pilot, she told him that's fine but why not look for a more realistic career. He now works as a Captain for one of the biggest airlines in the world. My point .... if you want something then go for it .... what's the worst that can happen? You don't get in, but at least you've tried and I'm sure if you want it enough and you work hard enough then you'll be able to achieve what you want to. Don't be put off by what other people say, sure they just want to help but sometimes it's encouragement you need and not discouragement.

I hope that helps, good luck with your future choice.

dredwinf
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by dredwinf »

if you wish one thing then select it what is the worst which will happen? you do not get in, however a minimum of you have tried and i am positive if you wish it enough and you're employed exhausting enough then you will be ready to bring home the bacon what you wish to. do not be postpone by what people say, positive they solely wish to assist however generally it's encouragement you wish and not discouragement.