The Application Process

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

medic2doc

The Application Process

Post by medic2doc »

Hello,
My name is Jonathan, I am a 26 yr old CSUSM alumnus, non-trad premed. I am registered to take the MCAT this May, and will be finished with all of my pre-reqs in July of this year. I would like to apply for matriculation in Spring of 2015.
As far as the AMCAS website is concerned, could anyone please offer advice on when to have official transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. submitted to them? I have heard that they sometimes take forever to process these things, but honestly have no idea how far in advance I should have all that completed by. Any information beyond the scant amount listed on the AMCAS site would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you,

Jonathan

foville1859
Gunner
Gunner

Re: The Application Process

Post by foville1859 »

OK, I am assuming you are in a post-baccalaurate or similar program after having already done the undergraduate bachelor's degree :

You will have done MCAT about two months from now, assuming the results are good enough to apply all the places you want, then that is fine

After you have completed the whole program / requirements there is no reason not to submit the transcript to AMCAS as soon as possible

My two concerns would be:

- AMCAS essay portion is very important so spend considerable time thinking about that and writing it well

- Faculty and busy professionals don't want to be rushed to do letters of recommendation by a certain deadline, so don't create that situation. The more time they have to think about it, the better the results of the letters will be (as long as they don't forget)

Technically you submit letters of recommendation with the secondary applications so there is much more time to work on getting those

If everything you need for the secondary applications is solidly finished, then it is also advantageous to get your applications in to the individual schools, because at the beginning they haven't filled various quotas yet, and also gives you more time to react to the outcomes and decide your plans

medic2doc

Post by medic2doc »

UPDATE:

Thank you foville1859 for the advice. I definitely agree with what you said, especially regarding allowing enough time for LOR's to be written!

I found out that for matriculation in Spring of 2015, the first day to begin that application is May 1st. According to the AAMC site, you must submit the transcripts with the transcript form, which is designated with a unique number which corresponds with your application. Long story short, I need to wait until May 1st to print this special form, and send in the transcripts so that they are allocated to the right application.

I am taking your advice and trying to have everything polished and staged so that I can submit the application as soon as it opens.

Thanks again! And if anyone else needs info regarding this, here is a link to the application section of the AMCAS Site:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/ ... _to_apply/

The information presented there, and in there FAQ section, was helpful.

-Jonathan

Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adminnaoum »

Thanks for pointing out this resource Jonathan!

NormFish

Post by NormFish »

Get your app in as early as possible.