Pre-reqs

For applicants who have been out of school for a few years, or are planning to have a family in medical school, or have other non-traditional qualities.

Moderators: CaribMD, AL_emt

LaurC413

Pre-reqs

Post by LaurC413 »

Back in undergrad, where my grades were terrible, I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 and got a D and C. I retook Gen Chem 1 and got a C. I didnt study, basically at all. I also took Organic 1 and got a C+ in lecture and B in lab. I was planning on retaking Organic 1 and finishing off my pre-reqs. (I havent taken Physics, or Organic 2). Do I need to retake Gen Chem 1 and 2 again, or will I be ok taking (and doing very well in) both organic courses, Physics 1 and 2 and getting a MS in Bio?

Thanks for your input.

medmatt
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Post by medmatt »

Not trying to be mean or a dream crusher but you probably want to start looking into nursing if your going to try and be in health care. These grades even with the retakes are not going to get you into medical school. There are a lot of other good healthcare opportunities.

Matt

LaurC413

Post by LaurC413 »

So basically youre saying I have no chance because I screwed around in undergrad? Thats assuming a lot being that you dont know my other grades or experiences. I thought that was the point of post bacc programs, non-traditional applicants. My question is if I get a masters in Biology and ace that, and ace the rest of my pre-reqs, should I re-take gen chem? And what about DO?

medmatt
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Post by medmatt »

Yea it's assuming a lot, but off the info you gave, you have no shot whatsoever. If you did awsome in post bac. work then maybe, but they are gonna wanna know why you had to retake all those classes. Good luck, and I stick with my earlier post.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: Pre-reqs

Post by CaribMD »

LaurC413 wrote:Back in undergrad, where my grades were terrible, I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 and got a D and C. I retook Gen Chem 1 and got a C. I didnt study, basically at all. I also took Organic 1 and got a C+ in lecture and B in lab. I was planning on retaking Organic 1 and finishing off my pre-reqs. (I havent taken Physics, or Organic 2). Do I need to retake Gen Chem 1 and 2 again, or will I be ok taking (and doing very well in) both organic courses, Physics 1 and 2 and getting a MS in Bio?

Thanks for your input.

Well, Retaking a lot of classes is not good, MD apps average the retakes with the first grade, so C+A still=B and so on, Your boost in GPA is not as great, DO apps do it differently but if you retake too much it hurts the app for US schools altogether.

I feel you may be heading to the Caribbean for Medical school if you want to go. Thats what I'm seeing here.