RESIDENCY IN 2016-2017

Resources and answers for IMGs applying to the ECFMG for US medical and surgical residencies.

Moderator: CaribMD

IMG_MD

RESIDENCY IN 2016-2017

Post by IMG_MD »

According a recent NEJM article by John Inglehart, there is now going to be a surplus of doctors applying for residency within the next 5 years.

This is in part due to lack of increased funding for General Medical Education (GME) programs ultimately by...Congress.

So, with new U.S. medical schools coming up and the constant influx of Caribbean Medical students...I think its going be interesting to see how things unfold. With the exception of a few, a lot of the Caribbean medical schools could just disappear since many of them are just rented out buildings anyway...

foville1859
Gunner
Gunner

Re: RESIDENCY IN 2016-2017

Post by foville1859 »

I think its going be interesting to see how things unfold. With the exception of a few, a lot of the Caribbean medical schools could just disappear since many of them are just rented out buildings anyway...

Does it mean that you think the Caribbean MD's will disproportionally not match in U.S. residencies, and therefore, lower success rate affects the reputation of the Caribbean medical schools to the point that some would be closed down?

IMG_MD

Post by IMG_MD »

foville1859....precisely. I know...it is rather pessimistic?

ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Post by ReturnToMed »

I think that's already happening. A lot of FMGs and IMGs are having trouble getting into residencies.

I don't know how that's going to affect Caribbean med schools - a lot of them keep their residency match rates secret.

Abdullah
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Abdullah »

I agree with you. I have also notice it.Government is increasing the number of medical student but there is no sing of increasing number of federally funded residency programs. So its become difficult to get accepted in medical residency program. Only residency personal statement can be a deciding factor in being accepted into a medical residency program, which is important for any medical student.