M.D vs. D.O

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

cftana

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

Post by cftana »

You had asked what exactly spinal manipulation is. I am a 3rd year Osteopathic student, so...

Osteopathic manipulation (OMM or OMT for short) is built on the principle that structure and function are connected. OMT is the practice of "reseting" the structure in order to improve physiologic function. We do this by a number of means ranging from "cracking backs (HVLA)" all the way to adjusting the inherent rhythms of the body (indirect and cranial technique). Every school teaches it differently, but the same basic principles apply. Osteopathic students learn OMM beginning the first year along with all of the standard courses (anatomy, physiology, biochem, etc.).

OMT is one of the many tools that osteopaths utilize to care for our patients in any number of settings. A good resource if you are interested is the American Academy of Osteopathy website. Hope this answers your question.

Shyam
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Shyam »

D.O.s focus on the relationship between the mind, body, and the spirit. Also, they take into accocunt the social and economic situation of the patient and evaluate these factors when helping a patient to cope with their illness.
Nonetheless, you do not necessarily have to adopt such a philosophy if you are a DO. Its just that you are trained in that way.

Katenaka

Doctors shortage

Post by Katenaka »

If America the #1 nation in the world is in need of DO's and MD's. And with new osteopathic schools opening. Would the people in other countries especially the underdeveloped ones care about the title? Trust me, you can ask anybody, and they would want to come to America.

Shyam
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Shyam »

Katenaka, are you saying that the title of the physician (MD or DO) is irrelevant to people from third world countries? (I just wanted clarification)

victronics
Gunner
Gunner

Post by victronics »

sometimes i think this is funny, but some 3rd world countries do not accept the DO degree.
Last edited by victronics on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.