M.D vs. D.O

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

svvool
Gunner
Gunner

Post by svvool »

Guys I have the question, I got accepted to St. Georges and I am considering between going there and doing D.O. here.....I am so lost. What do you think between the two....

OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Post by OlufunshoBY »

DO here. I have always believed it is best u go to a school in the US if u have that choice. Just a thought.

OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Post by OlufunshoBY »

victronics wrote:sometimes i think this is funny, but some 3rd would countries do not accept the DO degree.

Yeah, i was kind of suprised too. Why exactly? Is it because they have enough MDs that they don't need DOs. :wink: U get the sarcasm?

victronics
Gunner
Gunner

Post by victronics »

the reason is most of the 3rd world countries were colonized by the British, and the modle of education by the british is MBBS/MBCH/MD so when this countries gained independence from great Britain they just folowed the modle set by the British. Now that the UK has accepted the DO from American schools some 3rd world countries have also started recocnizing this degree.

simpsons
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by simpsons »

victronics wrote:the reason is most of the 3rd world countries were colonized by the British, and the modle of education by the british is MBBS/MBCH/MD so when this countries gained independence from great Britain they just folowed the modle set by the British. Now that the UK has accepted the DO from American schools some 3rd world countries have also started recocnizing this degree.

While it is true that the so called third world countries were colonized by Britishers and have left an appreciable impact on every aspect of their lives, it is necessary to point out that the students study organic chemistry, physics and all other prereqs prior to graduation from grade 12. They then work on their MBBS and are "doctors". They do not have to obtain MD to practice.

British model of education is no longer affecting their system. American model of education seems to have taken the lead here. DO philosophy has been regarded as a pseudo-science, and trust me on this one, it will take years for anyone from a third world country to respect this profession; A veterenarian is looked upon as trash, not a doctor.
One obvious reason for this could be the increasing numbers of allopathic doctors. This is true in several asian countries.