M.D vs. D.O

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

cad_15

Post by cad_15 »

...and while other people say that D.O.'s are equal but different to MD's, I say that D.O.'s are different and better.

simpsons
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by simpsons »

so if a DO student takes USMLE will s/he be given MD after his/her name.
I am asking this because there are foreign grads that have a bachelors in medicine(for example MBBS in Indian Subcontinent) and take the usmle and get an MD after their name.

wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by wackie »

krust3 wrote:
these are largely philosophical differences. realistically, the only difference is that D.O.'s can practice joint/spinal manipulation, M.D.'s do not manipulate.

What exactly do they mean when they talk of joint and spinal manipulation? Kind of like a chiropractor?

simpsons
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by simpsons »

simpsons wrote:so if a DO student takes USMLE will s/he be given MD after his/her name.
I am asking this because there are foreign grads that have a bachelors in medicine(for example MBBS in Indian Subcontinent) and take the usmle and get an MD after their name.

never mind, i found that the foreign medical school has to be certified by ECFMG which qualifies the student as an MD. The test plays no part in assigning MD or DO but the school does.

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by krust3 »

wackie wrote:
krust3 wrote:
these are largely philosophical differences. realistically, the only difference is that D.O.'s can practice joint/spinal manipulation, M.D.'s do not manipulate.

What exactly do they mean when they talk of joint and spinal manipulation? Kind of like a chiropractor?

yes