Medical TV shows

Review your favorite medical TV show.
Was it medically accurate? Was it anatomically accurate (that is, do residents actually look like that?)?
anamaky
Medical Student Moderator

Post by anamaky »

My friends and I love Grey's Anatomy and if we have exams, we tape it :) from what we've seen at the hospital so far, much of it is very unrealistic, but still very enjoyable.

They do put their stethoscopes on backwards a lot of times, though. And, who (especially an ortho resident) lives at the hospital anyway? (refering to this week's episode, where George's hot new gf was found living in the basement or some thing), give me a break.

anamaky

Post by anamaky »

by the way, love scrubs, hate house.

OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Post by OlufunshoBY »

scrubs is just comedy.

Arboth
Sub-I
Sub-I

ER and HOUSE

Post by Arboth »

ER and HOUSE rule. Greys anatomy is weak.

Moriarty
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by Moriarty »

I rarely watch anything other than Discovery Health Channel, but after my academic advisor kept raving about the show "House," I finally broke down and watched an episode. I really enjoyed it. After watching an episode I started reading about it online, and I uncovered many interesting things about the show. Here is quote from Wikipedia concerning the show:

"House shares a number of personality quirks with the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. The show's creator, David Shore, has said in an interview that the character of Dr. House is indeed partly inspired by Holmes. Among the characteristics the two characters share are their ability to come to rapid conclusions after the briefest examination of a client/patient, their drug use (cocaine for Holmes, Vicodin for House), and the fact that each character has only one real friend (Dr. Watson and Dr. Wilson, respectively) who connects the cerebral hero to human concerns. (The drug Vicodin is often distributed by Watson Laboratories, Inc., with Watson written on the backside of each pill.) Also, in one episode House's apartment number is revealed to be 221B, Sherlock Holmes's Baker Street address. House relies on his staff to break into houses, while Holmes relies on the Baker Street Irregulars. On the pilot episode, the main patient is named Rebecca Adler, possibly after Irene Adler, a well known female character from a Sherlock Holmes story. Another patient, who House failed to diagnose twelve years ago, has the name Ester Doyle which, incidentally, reverberates Sir Arthur Conan Doyle- the author of Sherlock Holmes. The patient who shot House in the second-season finale was named Jack Moriarty, i.e., Holmes' nemesis Professor James Moriarty. Perhaps most tellingly, the characters' names (Holmes and House) are homophonically-related synonyms."

I have since become a fan of the show myself, and am now renting season 1 DVDs from a local video store to catch up on what I have missed.