I need some advice

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

Feyinti

I need some advice

Post by Feyinti »

Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I have a question concerning my MCAT scores

I took the MCAT on 7/17 and I got a 24M
Physical- 6
Verbal- 8
Biological - 10
My undergrad G.P.A. was 2.78

I studied on my own using the examkrackers audio osmosis CDs and the barron's mcat prep book (12th ed.) I am planning on retaking the MCAT again in January, this time with the help of a prep course and I need your advice because I can't decide which one to use(princeton review, kaplan or examkrackers).

cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Re: I need some advice

Post by cheechootrain »

mudpiles wrote:Take a look at mudpiles
See the MCAT Buster section.

Just guys trying to sell you stuff. $299 to help me get into a top tier medschool with a 20 MCAT and a 3.2 GPA...that's hard to believe. You must've written some kick ass essay.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Feyinti wrote:Hi guys,
I am new to the forum and I have a question concerning my MCAT scores

I took the MCAT on 7/17 and I got a 24M
Physical- 6
Verbal- 8
Biological - 10
My undergrad G.P.A. was 2.78

I studied on my own using the examkrackers audio osmosis CDs and the barron's mcat prep book (12th ed.) I am planning on retaking the MCAT again in January, this time with the help of a prep course and I need your advice because I can't decide which one to use(princeton review, kaplan or examkrackers).

Hi,

OK do not retake the MCAT unless on the practice tests you are 30 or better. You need to know if your improved and just study is not enough, you need to do good questions under pressure as practice to exercise your knowledge.

So Jan is fine a s a goal but if not truly ready then take more time.

anamaky
Medical Student Moderator
Medical Student Moderator

Post by anamaky »

definitely agree with CaribMD. really it won't matter if you take Kaplan or Princeton Review (I took Kaplan and taught for TPR). the key is to study a lot and take as many practice tests as you can. I would definitely take the AAMC practice tests also. And just to reiterate, do not take the MCAT if your practice tests are less than 30 (I would even say bellow 32), because most people drop a few points on the actual test and these days it's becoming harder and harder to get into med school with average or less than average grades/MCAT score.