Retake MCAT to increase chances?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

trublue943

Retake MCAT to increase chances?

Post by trublue943 »

I have been a nurse for 3.5 years. I graduated from Loyola Nursing School with cum laude, GPA of 3.67, I took my prereq classes at a community college after graduating and working for 2 years, my science GPA from the community college is 4.0. I took the MCAT August 4th. My scores are, Bio-8, Verbal-8, PS-7, Writing-P. Total score of 23P. Should I retake the MCAT, or should I use this score and attempt to apply to med school?

Thanks!

cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Re: Retake MCAT to increase chances?

Post by cheechootrain »

I would suggest retaking it if you are wanting to apply to a US Med school. Don't retake it until you are for sure you can get over a 30 on the MCAT. Don't forget they average the your scores, and no more than 3 retakes. It'll come off as obsessive.

trublue943

Post by trublue943 »

Thanks! I decided to retest but to re-focus my studying this time. My focus was more on subject matter rather than on question format. Hopefully the 2nd time is the charm haha!

cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by cheechootrain »

trublue943 wrote:Thanks! I decided to retest but to re-focus my studying this time. My focus was more on subject matter rather than on question format. Hopefully the 2nd time is the charm haha!

Make sure that you take practice test in real "conditions" so you can get a gage on what you'll be scoring. If you're not scoring over a 30, then don't take the MCAT again. You don't want to rush it.

Try looking into MCAT prep courses such as Kaplan.

If not, here is a tip to help your studying. First, understand the material. When you take the MCAT, you need to study the pattern. There is always a pattern to a test. Get MCAT prep books that have the answer in the back, but also the wrong answers and why they are wrong. Explanation is the best key to understanding the material. Once you can understand, you'll be able to connect it. Second thing, mix it up. Study the MCAT prep book for 30-45 mins, then study some notes you've written down for 30-45 mins, then use flash cards and so on. It'll help with your critical thinking skills because it forces your mind to aggregate everything and connect all the information. You'll be able to draw answer from three different locations rather than just studying the book.

You can apply to a DO school if you don't want to wait.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

trublue943 wrote:I have been a nurse for 3.5 years. I graduated from Loyola Nursing School with cum laude, GPA of 3.67, I took my prereq classes at a community college after graduating and working for 2 years, my science GPA from the community college is 4.0. I took the MCAT August 4th. My scores are, Bio-8, Verbal-8, PS-7, Writing-P. Total score of 23P. Should I retake the MCAT, or should I use this score and attempt to apply to med school?

Thanks!

Unless your applying to Caribbean schools then you must retake :wink: