Is there an online Writing portion of the MCAT?

MCAT preparation and implications of MCAT scores.

Moderators: cheechootrain, CaribMD, AL_emt

tangent1.57
Gunner
Gunner

Is there an online Writing portion of the MCAT?

Post by tangent1.57 »

I took the MCAT last year, and I have some questions about the writing portion of this exam:
1. Is there an online timed version of this portion? When I took my exam last year, I didn't find anything of this sort. Kaplan, TPR, and AAMC's websites did not feature this.
2. In your honest opinion, how important is this section when compared to the other sections? My *OPINION* is that it's just as important as the other sections, especially at more selective schools. However, when reporting their MCAT scores, students typically omit their Writing sample scores.

Any help/guidance/opinions would be appreciated.

johnisles2011
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Is there an online Writing portion of the MCAT?

Post by johnisles2011 »

I took a test prep class (one of the two you mentioned), and I was able to have essays I submitted graded.

The writing is important in that you need to hit a certain minimum score (P or Q). As long as you hit that score, I don't hink how you do matters at all. Schools aren't going to look at your application more if you got a Q or and S. They just don't care. You NEED to practice writing enough to make sure you can hit the minimum score, but beyond that, it doesn't really matter and isn't worth taking time away from other subjects.