The right path

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

jmdglss

The right path

Post by jmdglss »

From the great feedback I've been getting and the outlook on the education front, I'm starting to outline a plan of action here and I'm looking for constructive comments about it. I have a liberal arts BA and I'm looking to move into nursing. Hopefully others can benefit from this post as well, obviously.

First, I want to enroll in a CNA program ASAP, so I can quit my horrible job in the TV news business (which is dying) and work on getting a part time job as a CNA to support me while I pursue my prerequisites and ultimately get into an ADN program. The thing is, I want to get started on my CNA certification ASAP because I want to get it out of the way before summer classes begin at the local community colleges (I live in Reseda, CA in the San Fernando Valley in the Los Angeles area).

Does this seem like a good plan? The only schools that are offering CNA programs that start soon (and that I could finish before summer community college sessions) seem to be private schools, the ones that can be a bit sketchy that a lot of people warn you about. Is there a school in my area that has a CNA program starting soon? One you would recommend (even a private one)?

I really want to jump into nursing. I'm so sick and tired of feeling like there's no future, and I like helping people.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: The right path

Post by CaribMD »

CNA is fine, but you will not make a great deal of money, the most I have ever seen is 12 to 14 dollars an hour. (RN's make between 22 and 50 an hour depending on a lot of factors)

If you truly want to do this then I think its great, do not let money get in the way.

I have several times in my life gone to school and been poor, it sucks but the result is worth it because I'm happy! :wink:

jmdglss

Post by jmdglss »

CaribMD wrote:CNA is fine, but you will not make a great deal of money, the most I have ever seen is 12 to 14 dollars an hour. (RN's make between 22 and 50 an hour depending on a lot of factors)

If you truly want to do this then I think its great, do not let money get in the way.

I have several times in my life gone to school and been poor, it sucks but the result is worth it because I'm happy! :wink:

yeah, I appreciate that. It's just there's no way I could possibly work the job I have now and even commit to my prerequisites properly. the reason I want to get my CNA certification is because, frankly, it seems like the only viable part time job I could possibly get that would give me some money while I go to school. I can live with my mom while I do it. It's scary, but I think I might just have to take the plunge. The business I'm in (television news) is a very wishy-washy business and I don't want to be 55 years-old and un or underemployed.

jmdglss

Post by jmdglss »

Geethika wrote:I think there is a good future in media but any how it is your own interest to jump into nursing. All The Best. But be sure that again you do not change your path in the career.

I realize you mean well and I don't mean any of this maliciously, but media in general is a dead zone right now and for the foreseeable future; there's been massive layoffs, forced days off, deep pay cuts, etc. I was laid off from a news station in December along with about 120 other people (the cuts were based entirely on seniority). Most of those people are still unemployed, but I was "lucky" enough to find a job after a couple of weeks.

The station I'm working at now offers everyone only a touch and go schedule. You work 5 days one week, 3 days the next week, 4 days after that. You never know how many days you get plus they often make you work 6 hour shifts, so you essentially never get a full schedule. And this is the trend in the television news business industry-wide. The station I worked at prior to this one is now forcing most of their workers into 4 and 3 day schedules. Of the people who were laid off, I'm the only one who's found a job in the same industry. Many of my former coworkers are asking me to help them get hired because they think I'm lucky. As far as the rest of media goes, the music industry is a total train wreck, publishing and newspapers have seen their staffing numbers eviscerated, and there's barely any money/jobs in the Internet industry.

I do not take the decision to switch careers lightly. Nursing seems like a field where there is a future. It requires a lot of hard work and study, to be sure, but the idea of spending my life in a helping profession which offers more security, money and benefits appeals to me greatly. Media is a disaster.

Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adminnaoum »

Media is a disaster.

You've got that right. Journalism in particular is in the toilet. It's sad to see some "pseudo-news" endeavors prospering while trained professionals who understand the ethics and responsibilities of the profession getting laid off.

Nursing is only likely to grow in demand, especially if the healthcare industry grows as expected with the increase in the insured population.