Nurse anesthetist or MD?

Career and education discussion for nurses and nursing students. LPN/LVN, BSN, RN, MSN, Doctor of Nursing.

Moderator: CaribMD

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Where this poster is 19 and fresh, I'm a MS II at a caribbean school due to:

CC most of my credits about 19 years ago
RN for 18 years
Did some more but CC
DUe to age (41 when started Medschool) and CC other factors I had to go to the Caribbean

I try to help people with my opinion and what I would have done different to give myself the best chance at Medical school.

Your post about your Brother in Law is awesome and proves that people beat the odds and I'm impressed,

In the end what counts the most is GPA MCAT and a few other things CC as part of College work is way down the list and I agree.
Last edited by CaribMD on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nurse/Doc

Post by Nurse/Doc »

Thanks for the input guys. I also had another question, in the BSN program if I get valedictorian will that matter to the med shools? Or wil they just see the high grades? It may sound silly but my plan was if I got valedictorian I was going to persue becoming an MD because I would know I can hold up to the rigors of med school. Thanks for the input.

-Michael

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Nurse/Doc wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I also had another question, in the BSN program if I get valedictorian will that matter to the med shools? Or wil they just see the high grades? It may sound silly but my plan was if I got valedictorian I was going to persue becoming an MD because I would know I can hold up to the rigors of med school. Thanks for the input.

-Michael

YES it all matters, Do the best you can and see where you are.

Let us know how you are doing along the way

Nurse/Doc

Post by Nurse/Doc »

Thanks! I have newfound motivation now :) Ill let you guys know how things go. Ill strive to get valedictorian during my 3 years in nursing school. Also, should I shadow a MD now? or later on during my education in nursing school?

will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Post by will381796 »

Nurse/Doc wrote:Thanks! I have newfound motivation now :) Ill let you guys know how things go. Ill strive to get valedictorian during my 3 years in nursing school. Also, should I shadow a MD now? or later on during my education in nursing school?

Shadow, or volunteer, or both. If you start it now, keep it up. Even if you don't get valedictorian, it's not the only thing that will decide if you get into med school. As CaribMD said, they also look at MCAT scores, volunteering, letters of rec, etc. A 4.0 won't get you anywhere if you get a 25 on the MCAT. So remember to be a diverse student now and don't only focus on just grades when other things are equally or more important. It will only help you in the future.