Hey EMT folk

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Hey EMT folk

Post by wackie »

I'm looking for information about EMT techs in the ER. Can anyone 'splain what they do exactly?

CaveatLector
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by CaveatLector »

Bring patients in...?

wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by wackie »

CaveatLector wrote:Bring patients in...?

What a disappointment. I expect more informative posts out of you. Delete your post and try again.
:P

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Re: Hey EMT folk

Post by krust3 »

wackie wrote:I'm looking for information about EMT techs in the ER. Can anyone 'splain what they do exactly?

they fill similar roles as nurses. start IV's, triage, etc.

they are not nurses however and do not have equal practice rights. EMT's are very limited in their practice scope when employed in an ER versus when they work in the field.

jab4medic

Post by jab4medic »

Hello I can tell you a lot about emt techs in the ER.Im a NREMT-Paramedic and I have a Lic in KY and TN.Along with ACLS instrucor, cpr etc etc. Emt basics are very limited in what they can do in the ER. You will be slightly above an aide or "Tech" on the pecking order. Your basic skills will be just like they are on the ambulance, and as far as I know EMT basics without IV endorsement (Tn has EMT-IV) so as a basic you will not be starting lines or pushing meds. O2 admin, cpr, bvm and pt comfort measures will probably be the limit of your scope unless the hospital puts you through an OJT for phlebotomy or iv's. that is at the discretion of your hosp administration. As for paramedics on the trucks where I work we have standing orders for everything I MEAN EVERYTHING, RSI, Narcs for pain relief be it chest pain or isolated extremity fx. Our drug box resembles an OMNI-Cell without the cool computer stuff. We also work in the ER as Medics and are treated with the upmost respect. All of are protocols follow us when we work in the ER. We intubate, start lines and push meds. The nurses work well with us. There is a saying about nurses and medics which will always ring true. nurses know a little about a whole lot and medics know a whole lot about very little. The point being (This is not a nurse slam) When it gets real ugly medics thrive its what were trained for. When its real complicated ie care plans, multiple dx's etc nurses thrive, when you put these two elements together you will see an exceptional ER staff, whether you work on the street or in the ER you can learn from people all around you. If you want to go to medical school work in the ER this will give you the opprotunity to work hand in hand with health care providers of all levels. Its not always about what cool stuff you can do, its about what you learn that could save a life. So at what ever level you can get experience go for it. An ER clerk knows a hell of alot more than a waitress about medicine because there exposed to it on a daily basis.