Hey EMT folk

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

jab4medic

Post by jab4medic »

Not to be crap stirrer but krust when you said Emts dont have equal practice rights as nurses were you stating emt-basic, emt-i, or emt-paramedics? Because believe it or not Paramedic's scope in the ER goes a little past nurses, intubation, needle decompression, surgical cric, EJ lines, IO's (not input and output) sternal for adult, tibia for the pedi's, not hear to argue just inform on life in TN.

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by krust3 »

nope just stating licensure and practice rights are different. i was too lazy to give a detailed response as you. i hope it didn't come off as a slam on nurses or EMT's. i was a basic myself and have also worked with paramedics in the ER as a PA. i did want to pass along that medics i've known seem to prefer field work versus ER work because they seem underutilized in the ER and have more autonomy in the field.

victronics
Gunner
Gunner

Post by victronics »

ok, just curous could you please let me know the state where the scope of an EMT is more than that of a nurse? in the ER, are you talking about an RN or LVN/LPN, because from what i know as an RN that has worked in the ER, critical care/cadiovascular/surgical units for the past 6yrs i dont think this is true at least not in the 50 states. i would love to know such a state where the reverse is true so i can research and pass this on to my students, as i also teach critical care and nursing ethics in the university.

jab4medic

Post by jab4medic »

Well here is the low down alot of western states coastal impaticular are in the dark ages of ems, where they have to call a base station nurse or physician to pass gas j/k but you get my drift. At least that is what I understand from articles ive read in JEMS. I work in Tennesse for a service that was one of the first in a lot of new things, where the birth of the TN EMT-IV took place, It was my understanding that a new nurse (RNorLPN)straight out of school was not able to perform (Im not including the ones with advanced training like flight nurses,CEN, and so on) these listed procedures however if im wrong please educate me. procedure list: surgical airway,retrograde intubation, oral/nasal intubation,pediatric/adult intraosseous,Rapid sequence intubation,internal/external jugular cannulation, needle decompression. These were the procedures i mentioned.Which medics can do in my area. Working in the ER can be a limitation in the fact that you take orders instead of making your own calls out in the field. but we still do all our procedures should the need arise. Simply put we do all our stunts but we are not the director anymore. As far as truck protocol we dont call for anything. If a pt needs 12.5 phenegran and 25 demerol we give it without calling anyone. Tn/Ky home of the no-call paramedics "Freedom at last" (although not all services are as aggressive as the ones i work for). If you are interested in a detailed list of the scope of paramedics where I work please contact me my email is jab4medic@yahoo.com and I will try to send you a state guideline. Many nurses are uninformed of paramedics scope of practice. For instance while intubating a pt at the nursing home I had a nurse ask me if i could do that.The pt didnt have a DNR.I have an Associate degree in paramedic science(2 more years and Ill finish my premed degree, I gave up on windsor school of medicine). the traing is as long as any ADN and I personally like nurses not trying to bash but I feel that many of them see Ambulance drivers instead of trained medical staff.

wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by wackie »

Here in Texas, it looks like you're either an EMT basic or a Paramedic. I'd like to go for Paramedic if I can, but I also want to get my degree.
The whole reason I'm interested in EMT is the type of hours they hold and the work they do.
My incredibly low paying desk job is driving me loco. At least as an EMT, I'd be working with people, no matter how crazy or sick they may be :mrgreen:

Anyway, I was told an EMT tech in the ER is a good position for someone going to school. I've also heard as long as I'm with a private ambulance company and not the fire department, that's a good gig as well.

Doctors typically see nurses as waitresses, nurses typically see EMTs as ambulance drivers, all see volunteers as idiots. It's another benefit to being an EMT. It's always a good thing to walk in another person's shoes.

Is the nurse/EMT relationship filled with as much anamosity as the doctor/nurse relationship? You should see the look of horror I get from nurses :shock:
Nurse: "Are you a nursing student?"
Me: "No, premed."
Nurse: *gag* *cough* *spit* *the hairy eyeball*