CNA and/or EMT

EMT, Radiology Tech, ECG Tech - career options and education discussion.

Moderator: CaribMD

jaird5708
Scutophile
Scutophile

CNA and/or EMT

Post by jaird5708 »

hello everybody,

i am a high school senior looking to be a pre-med biology major next year at college. I've been keeping up on this forum and basically i have a plan for my next 4 years. That plans begins this summer with a CNA class, which my hope is will give me a good introduction into the health system. It would give me an open door for employment with greater patient care than the volunteering (deliveries/phone answering) i plan to do this summer as well. However, I seem to be getting mixed feelings from others concerning the idea. This could be the connotative asspects of a CNA job, and people assume I will be wiping butts or throwing out my back for the next several years and not going to med school like ive said, but i digress. basicaly, im just looking for some advice...is getting my certified nursing assitant worth it in terms of getting me into med school? will an admissions committee look upon it favorably? if yes, great, but if not...what should i be looking into?

the same goes for an Emergency Medical Technician training I am currently investigating and may consider taking the summer after my freshman year...same questions apply + which would be better --CNA or EMT?

blooteeth
Fellow
Fellow

Post by blooteeth »

The question is, what do you want to do? Both jobs will provide you with clinical experience but they involve different responsibilities and tasks.

Med schools want to see clinical experience. You can get clinical experience in many ways, CNA, nursing home, EMT, hospital volunteer, shadowing, etc. All I did was shadowing and hospital volunteering and I still got into med school. I consider CNA/EMT work to be more involved than hospital volunteering but neither is a substitute for shadowing.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

i am a high school senior looking to be a pre-med biology major next year at college. I've been keeping up on this forum and basically i have a plan for my next 4 years. That plans begins this summer with a CNA class, which my hope is will give me a good introduction into the health system. It would give me an open door for employment with greater patient care than the volunteering (deliveries/phone answering) i plan to do this summer as well. However, I seem to be getting mixed feelings from others concerning the idea. This could be the connotative asspects of a CNA job, and people assume I will be wiping butts or throwing out my back for the next several years and not going to med school like ive said, but i digress. basicaly, im just looking for some advice...is getting my certified

Hello,

Ok I've been a CNA, Surgery Tech, RN and now a 4th year medical student.

CNA is a dirty job at times but rewarding and for getting Patient experience it is really good!

I do not know what the others are telling you but the are probably wrong on this.

You can then volunteer in anything

All that will be left is SHadowing a Doc ( easier when you are are trained some like a CNA)

Ok the Bio Major
are you sure? Because you can major in Archeology and be accepted to Medical school. Just make sure this is your real interest because most people think Doctors have to be Bio majors and they do not.

jaird5708
Scutophile
Scutophile

major

Post by jaird5708 »

yes, my biology major is up for debate, i was thinking possibly history as a major instead but we'll see i still have 4 months to decide.

I plan to shadow the summer after my freshman year, maybe after sophomore so that is fine.

on top of the CNA, which i may work as probably in sprng of 09, i was thinking of being a first responder in my local township for the volunteer work, as it will allow me to have a better contact with medical isssues as a volunteer without the boring/non patient oriented copying/filing of a hospital volunteer-ship. is this a good call?, i hear it is a great experience from all those first responders ive talked to (if you're unaware, a first responder is basically a volunteer who wears a walkie talkie all the time, and if someone gets in an accident or is waiting for an ambulence, he/she gets a call and goes to assist said person until the ambulence arrives if the responder is available), this would deal with medical basics and then my potential CNA job would give me a good experience within the hospital itself.

IceJBreaker
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by IceJBreaker »

I am an EMT myself and I have found it to be very rewarding so far. I think it will really teach you how to communicate with people, which I think is very important.

As an EMT you can learn a lot from Paramedics you may volunteer/work with. You may even come across EMTs/Paramedics who are RNs, PAs, NPs, and even medical students; I have.

Whatever you do, make sure you are doing it because you want to and not because you feel you need to.

Good luck with everything.