Diagnosed with narcolepsy

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

yesnomaybe

Diagnosed with narcolepsy

Post by yesnomaybe »

All this time, I thought I was just lazy and couldn't control my sleepiness, where others could. Then my friend did a research report on narcolepsy and pointed out that I had all the symptoms (I didn't even know those were symptoms, I thought it was normal)

I had given up on med school because the sleepiness completely messed up my grades. I can't tell you how many classes I've failed/done mediocre in because I couldn't get up for the class, fell asleep during the class, fell asleep during a test, fell asleep during homework or I was too tired to focus and study during all of the above.

I'm going into my senior year with a 2.0 and I am beyond depressed. I wanted to be a doctor so badly and while I'm happy I finally have an answer and I can start getting better, I just wish I knew earlier in my college career so I could have prevented this. I retook a lot of the classes already before I was diagnosed and got mediocre grades the second time around too.

Is there anything I can do? I want to be a doctor so badly.

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Diagnosed with narcolepsy

Post by DOdoc »

Hi,

I think the very first thing you need to do--before anything else--is get immediately established with a proper health care practioner and bring your medical issues under control. If you truly do have narcolepsy--and to be honest, some of the symptoms you describe support it and some against it, but that is not the purpose of this post to properly establish your diagnosis--but assuming it is, there are many treatments available that can make this a very manageable condition. But first things first--your aspirations to become a physician at this point are secondary to bringing a potentially life-threatening condition under proper control from the appropriate provider. Once that occurs, and it will likely be a process, not an event, then you can consider other pursuits.

To answer your question specifically, each situation is unique and your specific situation is too broad without enough details to have any idea what you can and cannot do. However, if your goal is to truly achieve becoming a physician, you can likely attain this but you must realize it may take longer, harder work, and unique paths that others may not have had to choose given your condition. While I do not know of any specific restrictions for narcoleptics within the practice of medicine, you should expect you are going to be very strictly monitored especially given that many of the current treatments include the use of controlled substances. Remember, even if it doesn't seem fair, the health and safety of the patient will always come first, over the personal desires of the person wishing to become a doctor. This is why it is vitally important to have a good handle on your condition with a track record of safety and treatment.

Don't give up, but focus your energy where it truly belongs at this point--mainly on your own health and safety.

Good luck,
Dr. F.

lambatla

Re: Diagnoosed with narcolepsy

Post by lambatla »

Try to change your lifestyle. Read here ... under treatment section,,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealt ... .treatment

dredwinf
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by dredwinf »

I think the terribly very first thing you would like to do--before something else--is get directly established with a correct health care practioner and convey your medical problems in restraint. If you really do have narcolepsy--and to be honest, a number of the symptoms you describe support it and a few against it, however that's not the aim of this post to properly establish your diagnosis--but presumptuous it's, there area unit several treatments accessible which will create this a awfully manageable condition. however 1st things first--your aspirations to become a Dr. at now area unit secondary to conveyance a doubtless grave condition beneath correct management from the suitable supplier. Once that happens, and it'll possible be a method, not a happening, then you'll contemplate alternative pursuits.

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DOdoc »

Changing your lifestyle is only one component of treatment. It's FAR from that "simple".

The first thing you need to do is STOP trying to manage this on your own or taking advice from people in your life writing papers about it or clicking on links.

You NEED to be under the care of an appropriate provider to properly diagnose and then properly treat the condition specific to the individual. There are many, MANY factors that go into proper care and treatment and the most responsible thing to do is find a physician who has experience treating this complicated disorder.

Dr. F.