Biology major but gpa isn't great

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

dreamer2007

Biology major but gpa isn't great

Post by dreamer2007 »

So, I am in my second year of college, and I'm a biology major, and my GPA isn't high, it's 2.7 and I want to pursue a career in medicine. So I was thinking since my GPA isn't high enough to get into medical school, should i just try to get into a pre-med post bac program, and from what I heard, it's even harder to get into medical schools in CA, so should what should I do?? And would I even be admitted into a pre-med post bac program if I graduate with a BS in biology? Because I know most post bac programs are designs for students with no science background. Please help lead me in the right direction, any information or advice would be appreciated :D

jparkerc

Re: Biology major but gpa isn't great

Post by jparkerc »

To have any chance at all you'll need to retake some classes or do a post bac program, probably both. Then apply DO. AACOMAS (DO app Service) does grade replacement for your GPA. Then really really do well on the MCAT. It will take some time. 2.7 will screen you out at nearly all if not all US Schools (DO or MD). I can't speak for caribbean schools.

msand1

Post by msand1 »

Do everything you can to bump up your undergrad GPA, then you can take some graduate level classes or re-take some classes that you didn't do so well on before you apply to med-school. You are correct-- most post-baccalaureate pre-med programs are intended for people who graduated with non-science degrees. I don't think you will have much luck getting into a post-bac pre-med program since you are already a biology major.

I would just recommend doing everything you can to bump up your GPA now. You are definitely heading in the right direction. Once you graduate with your BS you should take some graduate level courses and per-requisites that will help increase your chances of getting into the med school of your choice. I would also recommend speaking with an advisor at your school for some more guidance.

Another suggestion is to start self-educating. Med school is a ton of reading and absorbing new information and although you still have 2 more years of undergrad to go, it can't hurt to start reading some higher level medical books. This will also help you with your MCAT scores, which are crucial. Before I even took the MCAT I started reading some of my sisters old med school books just to help me get a head start. One book I read was Elsevier's Goldman's Cecil Medicine (http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Medici ... l-Medicine). I learned a lot from reading this book as an undergrad and it really got me excited to start learning more!

I would recommend checking out some medical textbooks and keeping up with the latest updates in the medical field. There are tons of resources out there and so much to learn!

Good luck with your studies and best of luck with your future!

zarmed003

Post by zarmed003 »

msand1 wrote:Do everything you can to bump up your undergrad GPA, then you can take some graduate level classes or re-take some classes that you didn't do so well on before you apply to med-school. You are correct-- most post-baccalaureate pre-med programs are intended for people who graduated with non-science degrees. I don't think you will have much luck getting into a post-bac pre-med program since you are already a biology major.

I would just recommend doing everything you can to bump up your GPA now. You are definitely heading in the right direction. Once you graduate with your BS you should take some graduate level courses and per-requisites that will help increase your chances of getting into the med school of your choice. I would also recommend speaking with an advisor at your school for some more guidance.

Another suggestion is to start self-educating. Med school is a ton of reading and absorbing new information and although you still have 2 more years of undergrad to go, it can't hurt to start reading some higher level medical books. This will also help you with your MCAT scores, which are crucial. Before I even took the MCAT I started reading some of my sisters old med school books just to help me get a head start. One book I read was Elsevier's Goldman's Cecil Medicine (http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Medici ... l-Medicine). I learned a lot from reading this book as an undergrad and it really got me excited to start learning more!

I would recommend checking out some medical textbooks and keeping up with the latest updates in the medical field. There are tons of resources out there and so much to learn!

Good luck with your studies and best of luck with your future!

thankyou for your help :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: