what US & Carib schools will CONSIDER gpa < 3.0 MCAT 33R

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

miamigirl87

what US & Carib schools will CONSIDER gpa < 3.0 MCAT 33R

Post by miamigirl87 »

Hello. I am new here. I already graduated undergrad but made some poor decisions and was working full time and now have two science degrees and a semi-decent MCAT but everyone is telling me my only option is Caribbean schools or do another profession or spend more than two years to up my gpa. i would like to know which caribbean medical schools are the best in terms of getting a residency for a specialty (i want to do oncology) and what US schools will consider me. I have the MSAR but i just subscribed and it is TON of info. Please do not tell me to consider another field.thanks.

Enot
Gunner
Gunner

Re: what US & Carib schools will CONSIDER gpa < 3.0 MCAT 33

Post by Enot »

As I understand it, oncology is divided into two specialties: Medical oncology, which is a subspecialty of internal medicine, and radiation oncology, a specialty within the American Board of Radiology. Rad onc is a pretty competitive specialty where the average step I score is around 240. The average step I score for IM is around 228, but as with all things in medicine, pursuing a fellowship is helped by being in a larger more competitive likely academic program. So both are competitive. A 33 MCAT roughly (very) correlates with a 235 Step I score, so with serious study, it seems possible to get into one of these residencies based on your test taking abilities, and all other things being equal. To speak to all things being equal, consider the next point:

The low GPA is likely to be a barrier to you getting into a US MD program. That is tough, because it seems like matching in residency is harder for anyone who is not an AMG.

This next bit is out of my area of knowledge, but I think that if you have a good MCAT, you could get into a more reputable Caribbean school. Avoid the no MCAT required ones. I have personally known people who attended AUC who successfully matched in family med. I would caution you that there may be a bottlenecking of residency options in the years to come, as the class sizes of US MD/DO programs have increased along with new schools opening, without additional residency positions being created. This makes things tight for non AMG's.

I think DO programs are more lenient with the GPA. I do not know how much. Your solid MCAT may help. Your AACOMAS GPA might be higher than your AMCAS GPA. With a DO degree, and a good performance in school, that IM residency is well within your reach.

miamigirl87

Post by miamigirl87 »

Thank you very much for your reply..can someone please give me some names of some good Caribbean schools?? =)

Enot
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Enot »

Some osteopathic schools list 2.7 as a minimum. might be worth a shot. As far as the carib schools go, I really don't know. There is a carib schools forum on this site, though, you could repost there.

emt2er-doc
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by emt2er-doc »

To begin with you need to realize that with a subPar GPA your chances of getting into any american medical school are slim. Trust me, I was in your shoes at one time. You need to realize that what you are getting into is going to need a plan and it will take time. If you are truly passionate about becoming a physician you will need to be realistic.

1) Realize that this is a marathon and not a sprint that you are going to be heading into
2) Medical schools want to ensure that you will be able to handle the upper level science courses that you will have to complete in order to graduate. That being said, if you have already completed the pre-requisites with a C or better than you may have to get a Masters degree in a science (not public health) or a special masters program that feeds into medical schools.
3) By that time you may likely have to retake the MCAT, but do not think about that until you have all of your grades complete.

Finally, if you prefer to go to the Caribbean realize that there are a lot of students there and you are in a different country. You also want to ensure what they do for 3rd and 4th year rotations and residency placement.