Famous slams in medicine

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Famous slams in medicine

Post by ReturnToMed »

So Christiaan Barnard used to tell this story:

After completing the first heart transplant he went on a speaking tour through the country, giving the same talk each time. After his umpteenth talk he was sitting in his car and told his driver how tired he was of giving the talk and wished he could take a day off. His driverhad seen the talk so many times he said he could give it - and so they agreed that at the next small hospital in a rural area the driver would give the talk and Dr. Barnard would act the part of the chauffeur.

The talk went surprisingly well, and as the chauffeur wrapped it up he was feeling so confident that he open the floor up for questions. He handled the ethics questions nicely, but suddenly in the back of the hall a distinguished gentleman stood and asked a complicated question about organ rejection.

From the back of the hall Dr. Barnard recognized the questioner as the famous cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Debakey and put his head in his hands in anticipation of his chauffeur's collapse.

"Good Doctor," said the chauffeur without missing a beat, "that is such a basic question, even my driver can answer it..."

Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Re: Famous slams in medicine

Post by Brady Kinesia »

History of Medicine : Rivalries and controversies during early ether anaesthesia

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2FBF03020348.pdf

There are some good quotations in that paper, and "zingers" or barbs thrown between rivals in medical research

Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Famous slams in medicine

Post by Adminnaoum »

For some reason Dr. DeBakey seems to come up frequently in these slams.

Dr. DeBakey and his Houston colleague Dr. Cooley had a famous rivalry.

Dr. DeBakey drove into the parking structure, but having forgotten his ID asked the security guard to let him in. The security guard, being a dutiful fellow, insisted: "I'm sorry sir, I can't you let you in without an ID, even if you were Dr. Cooley himself."

Not sure how long the security guard remained employed at the institution.