Favorite title

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Favorite title

Post by ReturnToMed »

OK, my favorite article title of the day:

Successful escape of acute ischemic stroke patients from hospital to home: clinical note.
Tei H. Behav Neurol. 2012;25(2):155-7. doi: 10.3233/BEN-2012-0357.

And yes, it's about stroke patients who escape from the hospital!

Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Favorite title

Post by Percival B »

I have visited and worked at hospitals in Japan (where this journal article was written), in fact I know where that hospital is in Saitama-ken.

Usually it's the opposite problem in the Japanese health-care system: malingerers. Patients who want to stay unnecessarily in the hospital, or worse, whose families want to "dispose" of the inconvenience of home care for a while, to go on vacation, or whatever. So, this article describes a quite peculiar situation.

Obviously these patients really did not want to be confined to the neurology ward. There could be several reasons for that: stubbornly denying the seriousness of an ischemic stroke, and wanting to "get back to work", or perhaps diminished capacity to make informed decisions about their own condition (as a result of the stroke).

Security in most Japanese hospitals is minimal, because it is a consensus society which is generally very safe. So if it's easy to walk in to a hospital in Japan, then it's also not hard to "escape" !

mk20
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Favorite title

Post by mk20 »

Very interesting!