Homeless to med student

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Homeless to med student

Post by Adminnaoum »

Sometimes we just need to remember how lucky we are and work for what we believe in.

A great story of a the White Coat Ceremony of a med student who had to live in a homeless shelter during high school.
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/08/18/2773 ... tucky.html

Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Homeless to med student

Post by Percival B »

Remarkable story, because most pre-medical students who get in have led very comfortable lives, with adequate resources and guidance.

"She often lived in a one-bedroom apartment with her mother and brother, and strangers came and went . . . Drugs also came in and out of the house, and it wasn't a safe environment for a high school girl."

That area of Kentucky is part of what is known colloquially as "meth country", it's one of the states with a real methamphetamine epidemic. Drugs are not only in the inner-city urban areas of America

Kinker said she didn't fit the stereotype of a homeless person. In high school, she was a cheerleader and acted in school plays. She earned good grades in the International Baccalaureate program.

Exactly, the "face of homelessness" in America is somewhat different than what you might think, and without adequate safeguards, potential disaster is only a few steps away for people who live day-to-day at a subsistence-level job. Well, she was never "out on the street," like hardcore homelessness, but she was in a very dysfunctional family situation, such that they had to take refuge at a shelter for some time.

"I felt like I was the adult in the household, taking care of everyone," she said.

She learned good real-world survival skills by having to assume a position of responsibility. This will serve her well in the future and help her to help others.

"If I had spent too much time at home, I would have accepted that reality as my future,"

No turning back when there's not much to go home to. It can be a powerful form of motivation.

ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Post by ReturnToMed »

How do you even relay that story to an adcom? It would have to come through the letter writers I suppose.

nenew

Post by nenew »

Tears came to my eyes just reading the header. 40+ year old , worked outdoors for up to 6 hours a day in brutal winters, 5.5 hour work commute, wages were below the federal poverty level (though I was raised in upper middle class fam, with doctor and many attorneys), and considering applying to medschool.

Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Percival B »

Interesting ! Are you in school now, or what is your situation with regards to the undergraduate education ?