Interview Costs Saving

The Match, Med School, the USMLE, rotations, Med Neuro...

Moderators: CaribMD, Vonsmack

mk20
Scutophile
Scutophile

Interview Costs Saving

Post by mk20 »

Hey Everyone,

With interview season for residency spots in full-swing, I thought I'd share some cost saving tips. I remember in the pre-clinical years hearing how we would need to take a lot of extra money in loans for interview travel 4th year, but I've found there are a lot of ways to save money:

1) Drive - driving generally is cheaper than flying, especially if you group multiple interviews together in one trip.
2) Megabus - consider Megabus for shorter trips - these literally can be as cheap as $1
3) Credit card rewards travel - this tip is too late for people currently interviewing, but for younger students, considering signing up for airlines credit cards. These often give you 1-2 free flights just for spending a certain amount of money after opening the card.
4) Hosting - utilize your networks to stay with family and friends - this is often a great way to reconnect with people. Or else, see if your school has an alumni hosting program or the residency has some sort of hosting program. Otherwise, consider hotels on the outskirts of cities, which often are cheaper.
5) Group interviews together - easier for some specialties than others, but you should try to group interviews together geographically. For instance, a Midwesterner doing all of her California interviews in one trip.

Just some ideas I've realized during my interview season. Hope this helps!

jamesshaffer85

Re: Interview Costs Saving

Post by jamesshaffer85 »

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your experience with us. I totally agree with you that cutting costs on interviews is a great idea, as we are not always even certain if we'll get a certain position or not. To be honest, most of your suggestions never even occurred to me.

Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by Brady Kinesia »

Group interviews together - easier for some specialties than others, but you should try to group interviews together geographically. For instance, a Midwesterner doing all of her California interviews in one trip.

Agree that this is the most efficient method and saves the most money. When scheduling the interviews, one thing that occurred to me is that you don't necessarily want the programs to know that you are interviewing at other nearby schools. Personally I would not mention it unless asked directly about it

jacobwhite08

Post by jacobwhite08 »

Thanks for sharing ways on how to save money. However, when you unexpectedly lack of cash, the most convenient method is to obtain cheap credit rating. Unlike obtaining from close friends or loved ones, and besides obtaining from the huge financial institutions. Additionally, I find out that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has released a brand new study about credit reports (personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/12/18/credit-cards-most-important/). It found, among other things, that charge card activity is the solitary most important element examined by credit rating agencies when figuring out credit worthiness.