What are my chances of getting into med school?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Nicoley90

What are my chances of getting into med school?

Post by Nicoley90 »

I just recently graduated with a B.A in psychology with a 3.141 gpa/current SGpa-2.8( minus my other missing Pre-reqs) and I also just got my A.S in science ( I figured why not get my A.S, since I did not 2 years ago when I was attending a C.C).During my time college, I was in the national honor society as well as PSI CHI ( national honor society in psychology). Anyways I plan on going back to college in the fall in order to complete my pre-med requirements. So far the only courses that I have taken are General Bio I, II ( Honors) and genetics which I received a C ( both bio's and C+ in genetics) in those courses. I took General Chem I and II, in which I received a grade of A+ and A-. So the only courses I have left to take are Orgo I, II and Physics I, II and possibly bio-chemistry ( hope that will be enough), other then that my other grades in the pre-reqs ( cal, stats, etc.) have been mostly A's and B's . As far as my ec's go, I currently volunteer at a hospital but that is about it. So my question is, what are my chances of getting into med school, with the successful completion of my other pre-requirements with at the very least 3.5 gpa ( but I am aiming for higher )? I am a URM, so I am wondering whether or not this will help my chances of gaining admission, since I would not be considered a competitive student? Please give me your suggestions and feedback ( should I take more bio classes, do more volunteer, etc.)!!! Thanks a bunch in advance for all you help guys!! P.S.- I have not taken the mcats yet, I plan on taking in next year around April/May.

Side Notes:
1. Took 22.5 credits in the last 3 semesters of college earning over 3.0 term gpa. ( with the exception of 1 semester in which I received a 2.915) With one of these semesters including a chemistry course and lab.
2. Took 14 credits over the Summer session, receiving A- in every class, including my chemistry course.
3. Possible publication in med journal, due to my work with a scientist at NYU.

Brady Kinesia
Sub-I
Sub-I

Re: What are my chances of getting into med school?

Post by Brady Kinesia »

I would focus on science grades and on MCAT preparation. I think you've already done enough extracurricular activities, and doing more to try to impress in the application won't help you if the numbers just don't make the cut.

Also, could you take more time to work on those things, or is there a reason why you pretty much have to apply next year?

arthurnottheking

Re: What are my chances of getting into med school?

Post by arthurnottheking »

Hello,

Why are applications rejected? I had a research project and did it well, my expertise is engineered biomaterials. Iwas rejected this year and next year I will try to apply to California Medical College.