Getting into medicine

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

tommy

Getting into medicine

Post by tommy »

Hey all,

I'm a college undergrad with med school aspirations. I'm wondering what kind of opportunities there are to get a glimpse at a hospital atmosphere, particularly for an undergrad who is looking to see if this is what I want to do. I'm extremely interested in emergency medicine. Are there opportunities to 'shadow' a doctor (for lack of a better word) or in any other way get a chance to see the goings on of a hospital. I know there are obvious limits to what someone in this situation can do, but I'd be interested to hear what kind of opportunities are out there.

Thanks,

Tommy

bluelava
Gunner
Gunner

Post by bluelava »

there are tons of opportunities to get involved. i have a some family friends who are docs, and i just asked a couple of them if i could shadow. both of them seemed excited to have me around. it was helpful because i not only was i able see what a doc does on a daily basis, but also got to talk to them about the aspects of medicine that you normally don't see (malpractice insurance, etc.) also, volunteering is a great way to get more exposure to medicine. find some hospitals nearby and look on their website to see if they have a phone number for a volunteer coordinator. if you're lucky, they might need volunteers in the ER... if you have a premed office/advisor at your school, they will probably be able to help you set something up. hope this helps!

psychformed

re:Getting Into medicine

Post by psychformed »

Find out if your school has a pre-health department. It's usually linked to the Biology department. They may have a pre-med intern program which would allow you to shadow a doctor in an emergency room or other similar settings. I did it in my undergrad program and it was a great experience. It also provided a recommendation letter from the medical staff I worked with.