Just decided I want to become a doctor

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

distefam

Re: Just decided I want to become a doctor

Post by distefam »

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that European medical school is out of the question then. Is it possible to go to medical school in the US then move to Europe? Would one do one's residency in Europe rather than the US if this were the case?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

distefam wrote:Thank you for your reply.

It seems that European medical school is out of the question then. Is it possible to go to medical school in the US then move to Europe? Would one do one's residency in Europe rather than the US if this were the case?

Its possible but there is two problems, if not the UK anywhere else you have to be able to speak the language well to get a license over there. Also the countries all have regs on what you will have to do.

Have you ever lived in Europe?

I did for a year. :mrgreen:

distefam

Post by distefam »

I've lived in Spain for three months and England for a month. I speak Spanish, so it probably won't be too hard to learn Italian over the next several years.

Do you know where I can look for more information on specific requirements?

Again, thank you for all of your help.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

distefam wrote:I've lived in Spain for three months and England for a month. I speak Spanish, so it probably won't be too hard to learn Italian over the next several years.

Do you know where I can look for more information on specific requirements?

Again, thank you for all of your help.

On the web go to the countries ministry of or Board of Health and see what the requirements are, you may have to make a long distance over seas call too. In some cases a packet can mailed out.

I had one mailed from the UK before I lived there for a year.

I traveled Europe during that time and learned of the requirements then, they may have changed.

I just know it can be done with the right steps, but its not as easy as practicing in the US after medschool in many places.

Nobody get upset at my next statement, but since you want to practice in Europe then US DO is not an option, I would do either do US MD or Carib MD this is the one case where Carib MD will be better then a DO.

JungleDocToBe
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by JungleDocToBe »

distefam wrote: I speak Spanish but would be willing to learn French or Italian to be able to attend schools in France or Italy as well. Should I even apply to European medical schools or simply apply to American ones and attempt to have the MD transfer?

From what you have said, it seems like you have experience with languages. However, I will say this. I come from an international, multi-cultural home. My father is German, my mother is Cuban. Therefore, I have grown up trilingual.. Just because Italian is similarto Spanish, does not mean that it is easy to master. To learn a language and speak it, is entirely different from having to learn and work in another language.

Like CaribMD said, it is EXTREMELY difficult to get into med school in Europe, even if you ARE a citizen of that country. If you thought we had regulations and expectations in the U.S., try Europe. You need license upon license, permit upon permit...Living in Europe as a doc is an admirable dream, however, realistically, for an American, may not be possible unless it is under some medical mission project which are typically in the third-world, not in Europe.