Best post bac formal programs + advice for USC grad

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

beautifullybroken

Best post bac formal programs + advice for USC grad

Post by beautifullybroken »

I'm a recent University of Southern California grad and am looking into going back to school. I graduated with a 3.35GPA and a BS in Business. I decided a little bit too late that business is not for me, so now I want to go the med path. I do not have any background in science. My questions are:

Should I try for a formal post bac program?

Which schools have the best post bac programs? (programs where I'd have the highest chance of getting into medical school)

Any other advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: Best post bac formal programs + advice for USC grad

Post by CaribMD »

I've waited to see an answer myself? I think any of them to get you into medschool is fine since the goal is to get in! As long as they have a good track record!

Vince86
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Best post bac formal programs + advice for USC grad

Post by Vince86 »

Well there are alot of post-bac programs. But I think the one you are looking for is one that gives you the pre-med coursework (physics,biology,chemistry,calc etc.) You can either take these classes at any college and do well in them, or you can take a post-bac program catered specifically to it. You can look for the Drexel programs in Philadelphia , stony brook university in NY, and others. I think the advantage to these formal post bacs are that you have a "better" chance of getting into these schools cause they make you take the MCAT after the coursework and lower the standards for their students in the program. Also, most of them are catered to the undeserved community.

Or you can just take some extra classes in random college, and take all the pre reqs.

Either way seems fine, as long as you do well in them and your mcat.