Transferring...

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Zethra
Scutophile
Scutophile

Transferring...

Post by Zethra »

So I'm transferring next semester and I've run into a bit of a problem. The cell bio class I took here will not transfer (the one here is lower division and the one offered by the school im transferring to is upper division) and my new degree plan requires that I take cell bio. How will medical schools look at this? If I have other classes that I have to retake because they wouldn't transfer would it hurt me?

Vonsmack
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Re: Transferring...

Post by Vonsmack »

It won't hurt you. It's perfectly acceptable to take an upper division course in one subject where you have already taken the lower division course. For example, if you really like basketweaving 101 you can take basketweaving 303 for a more advanced training in basketweaving (you might even learn to do it underwater). If anyone looks at your transcript that hard they are probably interviewing you and will ask you about it, where you can explain it no problem.

Zethra
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by Zethra »

One other question. I'm more than likely going to take 6 years to graduate since I didn't declare a major until I spring of my Junior year. Do schools really care how long you stay an undergrad as long as you make the grades and MCAT?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Zethra wrote:One other question. I'm more than likely going to take 6 years to graduate since I didn't declare a major until I spring of my Junior year. Do schools really care how long you stay an undergrad as long as you make the grades and MCAT?
Not really, I would think, 10 years in undergrad is a red flag but no not in your case. :wink: