volunteer work

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

skipatroldoc

volunteer work

Post by skipatroldoc »

I am planning a 2 month trip to central america next fall and would like to spend some of that time volunteering at a health clinic or hospital. Does anyone have any recommendations of groups to go with or places to look into?

Thanks!

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Re: volunteer work

Post by DOdoc »

Hi,

There are plenty of resources out there that can assist.

Please provide a little more information--are you a pre-med, medical student, resident...?

You can check first with any program you are associated with...most large institutions have some connection or faculty member who knows someone who does something...etc...

If you have even working knowledge of a foreign language, mainly Spanish in Central America, this will go a long way in assisting you. Keep in mind though that depending on the location you would end up going to, there is often regional dialects or local languages so going in organized groups becomes almost mandatory.

If all else fails, depending on your situation, try contact some of the national organizations who do relief work--the Red Cross, for example to start, and see if there are any local connections they may be aware of. Trust me, there is plenty of opportunity out there for this type of work and if you want to give a little more information, I can undoubtedly point to specifically to groups that are always looking for volunteers.

Good luck, and it's great to do this type of work--it'll likely open your eyes--

Dr. F.

skipatroldoc

Post by skipatroldoc »

Yes, so I am a pre-med student. More specifically, a post bac student. I will finish all med school pre-reqs by May of 2013 and would like to do this work over summer or fall of 2013. I have basic knowledge/skills in Spanish. Also, I do have pretty significant emergency experience. I would prefer to do work in Central America if I have the option.

DOdoc
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DOdoc »

Have you been able to find any opportunities yet? I may have some suggestions but as I do not live in the US at present, I am not completely sure what is exactly available.

Send me a private message if you are still trying to pursue this, given that it is now closer to your timeframe involved.

Dr. F.