Low GPA, chances of getting in?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Accepted92

Low GPA, chances of getting in?

Post by Accepted92 »

This question has probably been answered many times, but I'd like to get people's advice on this. My goal is to go to attend medical school (no matter how long is takes), but unfortunately my grades are too low for me to even have a chance of getting an interview. I am a junior at the University of Connecticut. My current GPA is a 2.645 (I know yikes). I am planning on retaking some courses before I apply. Realistically I feel that I should have a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 before I would like to apply to medical school (This summer). I have not yet taken my MCATs, but plan to take them in the summer as well. I have extra curricular activities (pre-med society, Autism, U etc.), clinical experience (working in the infirmary and lab), volunteer experience, I am CPR certified and I will be doing research this upcoming semester and I will be shadowing a doctor soon. I have a couple recommendations and I plan to get more. I am hopeful that I can turn things around, so that being said I was wondering, if I do well enough the MCATs (30 or higher) would it be recommended that I apply to medical school so I can attend right after I graduate. I am also going to apply to post bacc programs just in case. What do you think?

king kong bundy

Re: Low GPA, chances of getting in?

Post by king kong bundy »

I think you have a great chance in getting into a good medical school. Check out Brown University Or try looking at osteopathic medicine schools. alot of them require and average MCAT score 20 and better. Just keep worrking on your GPA, you will get there. Stay focus, some schools will accept with 90 credits plus and then work with you along the way. Speak to the admission advisors of any schools that you wish to attend, they will help you along the way. your GPA is one thing but, your GPA in your science courses is another. Make sure you get good grades in your pre med science courses that is the must important field that will be looked at. Many schools pay close attension to your sciences, so do well!.
Good luck!
King Kong

Accepted92

Post by Accepted92 »

thank you, i appreciate your input

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Accepted92 wrote:thank you, i appreciate your input

Well its a little misguided:

MD schools take all grades, first given then the 2nd on retake and average them so if you get a D then a B the best is a C to be averaged into the GPA for Medical School Admissions, AMCAS ignores the university GPA. ALso if you switch schools both DO and MD schools will still do this, they will look at the transcripts from both schools, no such thing as a "fresh start" your GPA follows you.

You do not have a good chance with the current situation:
Medical Schools may be scaling back admissions due to fewer residency spots
this means that the competition that is already stiff will be tougher.

If you look at medical school web sites and see who is accepted at most schools its:
3.5 average GPA ( this is like I posted AMCAS way)
BS, BA or MS degree
Published

Some schools the average GPA is 3.6 to 3.7 now

DO schools may consider you if you do some things like
Get a decent high GPA from now on and go for a Post Bac or a MS degree and do really well.

MCAT will not matter too much until that GPA is better
MCAT = GPA meaning if your GPA is subpar a High MCAT will not be enough

Accepted92

Post by Accepted92 »

Im not surprised, it seems like I should, retake some classes, improve my gpa, do a post-bac and then apply?