Volunteering at a Physical Therapy

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

mxphan88

Volunteering at a Physical Therapy

Post by mxphan88 »

I'm thinking about volunteering at a physical therapy center but I'm pre-med. I thought it might be a good way to learn how to interact with patients in a health aspect. But is that a good idea to have down for med school?

P.S. I'm also volunteering at a hospital

ReturnToMed
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Volunteering at a Physical Therapy

Post by ReturnToMed »

I think it's a good idea.

If you connect through a physical medicine and rehab physician that would make it even better.

So ideally, see a few patients with a PM&R doc and spend time with the physical therapists. PT/OT evaluations are better than that of most physicians for functional status and getting their perspective will help understand how disability affects patients after they leave the hospital and how PT/OT makes a big difference in their life.

Percival B
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Volunteering at a Physical Therapy

Post by Percival B »

Yes, I think it is interesting if you explain that why you did it is to get a sense of the big picture for rehabilitation of patients after they are discharged from the hospital. In other words, shows that you care about the long-term outcome, as opposed to having merely fulfilled a certain clinical function, then making the patient "someone else's problem". And there is some advantage in that given that it would not have occurred to most premeds to look into it