Chances of getting into med schools with your scores

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

Adminnaoum
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Adminnaoum »

BTW, we do have a separate tool for Caribbean med schools, although it is very different in what it spits out:

Caribbean medical school information

drn

this_barb
Gunner
Gunner

Post by this_barb »

This is very useful.

amatlina
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by amatlina »

Hey everyone, please give some advice. What should be the upper limit of the schools to apply to?

I just reveived my MCAT score :cry: - it was 29. My GPA is about 3.8. I got 10 in Physics, 11 in Bio, 8!!! :cry: in verbal and Q in writing. They will know English is not my first language (I came to this country when I was 22).
So if the school's average is let's say 33 or 35 should I even bother to apply? What should be my upper limit? I would like to stay in the tri-state area and would like to get an MD, not a DO.

Also one more thing - during the MCAT there was a problem with lights - they were crecking during the entire verbal and biological sessions. Do you think I can do something about it? Obtain a letter from the MCAT administration or something?

cjmike
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by cjmike »

Not sure about the lights during the MCAT's but I would definately try applying, you never know if you dont try.

Maybe there's something you've done in your past that is different than others? Maybe you're interview is much better than someone else? Maybe its just pure luck!

amatlina
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by amatlina »

Thanks Cjmike,

I am also so late and my AMCAS application still hasn't been verified even thought I submitted it and all the transcripts were ready by October 15th. Do you think I have a chance applying to schools with average MCAT score of say 31P or so?
(My MCAT score is 29Q - Phys 10, Bio 11 and V 8 :( . English is my second language. My GPA is about 3.83 and I have a Master's in Applied Physiology from Columbia University. I have over a year of volunteer experience in two different settings, during my premed preparation I have been working full-time, the last two years I've been working in a medical device/research company).

I know I would have a chance if I applied in like June, is it too late now?