AMCAS personal statement: paid essay editing service?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

jjy2103

AMCAS personal statement: paid essay editing service?

Post by jjy2103 »

i wanted to know if anyone had tried or heard of anything bad r good about those essay editing services for med school app.

i found a website called accepted.com who outline your essay and edit them for several hundred dollars...wasnt sure if this is worth it....anyone heard of anything about them?

anyone know about other essay editing services?

ALSO how important are those essays? personal statment, and secondary essays? i get the feeling secondaries are more imp thatn personal statement...am i wrong?

spospo
Gunner
Gunner

Post by spospo »

i never used one of those services, but i only ever heard bad things. not that they are bad or ruin your essay, just that they overcharge for the little that they do. i would say get family, friends, writing services at your school to look it over. if you know anyone who has gotten in, let them have a look. the personal statement is a big deal. don't just blow it off. for the most part, you are trying to convey to adcomms what it is that made you pick medicine (also, explaining any downfalls in your app - bad grades etc). a lot of times, they don't look at it until you send in your secondary, but it is still very important. it has to be original, interesting, and relatively concise. the secondaries are important as well, but many of them are "why did you chose this school?" sometimes you have good reasons, and sometimes you don't but have to make it sound as if you do. don't blow anything off in the application process; it is all important. i'll be happy to answer any questions you have. in my personal opinion, i would say that the personal statement is more important because it is just you freely writing and not answering a question that they school created. that's just me though