Community College in Progress... Need Advice!

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

wdmassey

Community College in Progress... Need Advice!

Post by wdmassey »

Hey all and thank you so much for taking the time to read this! Ok, I'll give you some information about myself.

This semester I will be completing 18 hours, for a total of 36 hours at my local community college. These are the classes I have completed:

Freshman Comp 1
Freshman Comp 2
Intro. to Psychology
College Algrebra
History 1483
Humanities 2

And will complete:

Bio/ Majors
Chem 1315
Plane Trigonometry
Intro. to Sociology
American Federal Government.

Now.. my GPA is a 3.83, and I am currently holding all A's this semester (and do not see them dropping). This will bring my GPA up to 3.92. I have applied to the University of Oklahoma for the Fall of 2008 semester. Currently, I am volunteering in the pediatrics unit at a local hospital, and I just got a job as an Orderly at another hospital (it's great experience.. I love it!) I am also a member of the club for medical and natural sciences, on the national dean's list, as well as school honor rolls. I plan to become increasingly involved when I go to OU.

Basically, I just wanted to seek out some reassurance, and ask a simple question. I am planning on taking chem 2, physics 1, Calc 1, and art history next semester. I am worried that I will be completing too many pre-reqs at the community college. I need some advice! I will still have Organic 1 and 2 to complete, and Zoo 1114.

Thanks!

andrewk
Gunner
Gunner

Post by andrewk »

From what I understand it's ok if you take classes at community college as long as you can prove that the classes were challenging and tought you the necessary information. And the only two ways to do this is by when you goto your University, do not show a negative trend in grades, thats a dead give away that your CC wasnt hard. At secondly, the great equalizer, the MCAT. This tests pits you against people from Harvard and Yale, so this is your big chance to prove to the schools that your on par with them and the fact that you went to a CC means nothing.

It seems like we are both in the same boat at the moment, Im currently in a CC taking most of my pre-reqs there. The only ones I am saving for my university are OrgChem and Math. I'm planning to get a degree in biochemistry to prove that being at a CC wasn't taking the easy way out.

wdmassey

Post by wdmassey »

Very good! Thanks for the prompt response. I feel that I'm dedicated enough to follow through at my university, I just wasn't sure if there was a negative stigma that goes along with taking classes at a community college. I feel that I am learning the same material that I would at a university. Actually, my CC happens to be ranked within the top 25 in the nation. I'm still open to any more opinions on the matter.

Cash McCallister
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by Cash McCallister »

I was actually given the advice to take save as many of my science classes as possible for the UC. I was a bio major but switced it to English so I can transfer with the bare minimum of science and math. Once there, no one will question whether your classes compete at the UC level because, well, they are UC level. The only forseeable downside is that now in addition the the rigorous science classes I have for med school pre-reqs, I also have to complete my english major. Shouldn't be a problem though, I gooder than most at english already.

mdille2
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by mdille2 »

I would continue the direction that you are going. Take your CC classes and then transfer with what you have. Get good grades do well on your mcat, volunteer, and get GREAT LORS. You will be okay when you apply. Good Luck!

Marcia

PS I took most of my prereqs at a CC and I am an MS1 now. I also had 3 LORs from CC profs.