GPA of barely 3.0 at junior level, but I have 3 publication?

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

useskaforevil wrote:because its extra work with no benefit, just take science courses you can ace.

The minor=no benefit for getting into medical school, even with higher grades, if an adviser told it would help "Look good" well it does, to the college you pay extra tuition to.

There is this belief that colleges are not "Out to make Money" that is so untrue and naive its not funny, life secrete here:

All businesses

For profit
Not for Profit
Non profit

all want to make more money.

all want to grow

all

They are not in it to better you, they are providing a service and a way for them to earn the people who work there a living, in some cases the service quality is important, in other cases..............

Just understand there is a benefit to colleges to making premeds take more classes and spend more time in undergrad and in Post Bac.

Know how this works and know your options to guide yourself to reach your goals.

good luck

jerichobp

Re: GPA of barely 3.0 at junior level, but I have 3 publicat

Post by jerichobp »

hotdog wrote:No, you're not on the right path... a 3.0 overall GPA by your junior year is pretty bad if your hope is to get into a U.S MD school. What you need to do is to raise it up as high as possible before you graduate. And if it's not in a competitive range for acceptance, I recommend a post-bacc. As of now your chance isn't too good regardless of how well you do on your MCAT.

Hmm, that doesn't bode well for me, I was gonna ask here about my chances with a slightly lower than 3.0 GPA (2.86) as an entering Junior (It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to college as I graduated with a senior class of 6 people). So even if I can raise my GPA to 3.35 by the time I graduate, (which would require me to keep up a diffcult, but not impossible, 3.8 gpa for the remainder of my undergrad) your still saying I don't have good chances (going with the very presumptive thought that I'll get at least a 30 on the MCAT)? (Also, I'll probably have very good LOR's, considering a personal friend of mine is a teacher at UMMC and a world renowned cardiac surgeon, and I interned for the Commissioner of Health of one of the most highly populated counties in the US). Also I'm from New York, which I'm sure you all know has a lot of med schools.

So, not to hijack the thread, but anyone have any opinions on my chances?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

jerichobp wrote:Hmm, that doesn't bode well for me, I was gonna ask here about my chances with a slightly lower than 3.0 GPA (2.86) as an entering Junior (It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to college as I graduated with a senior class of 6 people). So even if I can raise my GPA to 3.35 by the time I graduate, (which would require me to keep up a diffcult, but not impossible, 3.8 gpa for the remainder of my undergrad)

How can you raise the GPA from 2.86 to a 3.35 in 2 years?

I'm not sure? I have to keep posting this in these cases,

the only way to raise a GPA for MD schools will be new courses and retaking D's and F's to get A's and B's because retakes are counted in the way that both times are averaged, you get a D the first time and a A the second this is averaged by AMCAS into a grade, most colleges allow the new grade to replace the old grade or grade forgiveness, AMCAS counts every grade regardless of what your school does.

DO schools do it a little different

its tough out there!
:wink:

Vince86
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Vince86 »

It really doesnt matter if u had a great internship or anything of the sort. If you do not have the grades, you will not get in. Unless you have a connection through the dean of admissions or adcom or is a sibling of a alumni, knowing anyone else is kind of useless in your attempt to get into med school. Any type of extracurricular doesnt mean anything if you do not have the grades.

You at least need around a 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat to be competitive. This doesnt mean youll get in, it just means you have a good chance.

a 3.35 is not a great gpa but also not a good one either in terms of med school. Unless you have affirmative action or is a undeserved applicant, you dont have a good chance. You will have to balance this with a very good mcat, around a 35+. Med schools have alot of qualified applicants that meet or exceed the avg 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat.

now since you are a resident of new york, you may get into one of the suny schools a bit easier. You ll need to get your gpa to at least a 3.4+ and your mcat to a 32+. I have heard people being waitlisted with 3.8 gpas and 28 mcats, 3.6 gpas and 25 mcats at suny upstate.

GL

jerichobp

Post by jerichobp »

CaribMD wrote:
jerichobp wrote:Hmm, that doesn't bode well for me, I was gonna ask here about my chances with a slightly lower than 3.0 GPA (2.86) as an entering Junior (It took me a bit of time to get acclimated to college as I graduated with a senior class of 6 people). So even if I can raise my GPA to 3.35 by the time I graduate, (which would require me to keep up a diffcult, but not impossible, 3.8 gpa for the remainder of my undergrad)

How can you raise the GPA from 2.86 to a 3.35 in 2 years?

I'm not sure? I have to keep posting this in these cases,

the only way to raise a GPA for MD schools will be new courses and retaking D's and F's to get A's and B's because retakes are counted in the way that both times are averaged, you get a D the first time and a A the second this is averaged by AMCAS into a grade, most colleges allow the new grade to replace the old grade or grade forgiveness, AMCAS counts every grade regardless of what your school does.

DO schools do it a little different

its tough out there!
:wink:

Well I've never gotten below a C in any class (I just have too many of them), but that is a good idea (esp. for the intro sci classes i got C's in), thanks. and yes, I did the math, with the credits and gpa I have now (60 credts at 2.86), vs the credits I need (66 credits, incl about 56 science credits), I could theoretically (4.0 straight through) get a 3.45.

thanks for the advice.