HELP! I'm a first semester student and I'm confused

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

Ross_MD_Student

HELP! I'm a first semester student and I'm confused

Post by Ross_MD_Student »

Hello,

I'm writing this message in Dominica as a first-semester student here at Ross University. I seriously need to evaluate my future aspirations and put some thought into contingency plans regarding not making it here in Ross. You see, we just had the second part of our Exam 1 Friday, and I made a 61% even though I studied like crazy.

I never knew what the drop-out rate was here at Ross, but I imagined it to be 25%, maximum. I know for a fact that ~20% drop out in 1 year's time. During orientation, we were told that 7% are effectively kicked out before the USMLE I because they couldn't pass Ross' "in-house USMLE" exam, which is a pre-requisite to take the USMLE. I'm not sure if the 7% is the gross percentage of folks getting kicked out or if it is 7% of people at that stage who are not allowed to advance.

Anyways, here are my questions to you, and I'm sure you've heard them all before.
1. What is the graduation rate at Ross? Yesterday, I'm doing some cursory studies on this, and I'm hearing a scattering of figures going as high as "30%-50%" on ValueMD . But that author never cited his/her figures.
2. Semester 3 here is a drop out point as well. I think that it's due to pharmacology. What percentage of folks drop out here and why (is it pharma)?
3. Is Ross a scam?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: HELP! I'm a first semester student and I'm confused

Post by CaribMD »

Lets be honest here, If you cannot pass an exam at Ross what would make anyone think they can anywhere else?

The material is not different or easier, in Fact the USMLE is harder now then it was 2 years ago.

The honestly here is that medicine is not for everyone.

If you studied for the tests then maybe you still did not study right.

1. Do you have on line Q banks yet? You should
2. Did you do practice tests like crazy?
3. What course was it? Biochen is one of the hardest and there are tons of online Q's for it.
4. Before the Ross shelf exams there are Practice NBME and USMLE world Q bank, if you can do well with them then Ross's Exam is doable

Lastly its not Ross and the number who fail, its you and your ability to do this. Ross is a good school because they fail out those who should not pass. My school only 50% passed step one.

Ross is doing a good job, does no good to have most pass a test that is made easy when the real thing will fail more than 50%

You are there now, get with study partners and study better, if you want help then PM me.

Bottom line is the problem is not Ross.

Ross_MD_Student

Post by Ross_MD_Student »

caribMD,

Thanks for your reply. I studied like crazy for sure. I study with people, I go for anatomy lab sessions, and I study around 10 hours a day AFTER CLASS. So my class time + study time is 14 hours. I've done q-banks, but one thing that I haven't done is Academic Success. I think that I must do this now.

I'm really concerned about retention here at Ross. I *THOUGHT* that it was 80%, but I read an article (the article from St.Petersburg's Time) that the retention here is more like 67%. MD school is CUT-THROAT, and even if the retention rate is 90%, it will be a challenge to not be a part of that 10% who failed. This was actually a lesson to me: That the bottom 10% of MD students are still quite competitive.

My background was an MS in Biomedical engineering and I made a 27 on my MCAT. My reading was a 7, however. I'm a slow reader, but I can work HARD. Another thing about me, perhaps my memory is not as acute as others. I notice how good they are at repeating anatomical details, which I can't seem to do as fluently as them. I know that everyone is different, and that I have cognitive strong points as well.

In your estimation, what is the dropout/fail rate at Ross? I know that 7% get KICKED out prior to USMLE I because they can't pass the Ross' prep exam on 3 attempts. I also see how much smaller the upper classes are compared to Semester I (which I am a member of).

Finally, we can totally see who will fail soon. The ditzy, confused, and unprofessional students will do poorly, and every class has their losers. In our class, I can think of a few that comes to mind. We have one girl, who during orientation, asked a panelist in front of 400 students, "What are clinicals and clinical rotations?"

shrink
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Post by shrink »

I went to Ross and I can tell you that it's a dynamic situation as far as tests go. True, the material is theoretically the same, but the questions are written by the faculty there, and some of them are just awful. When I was there, we had a student who was on the test review board thingy, and they would routinely get poor questions thrown out after an exam.
That being said, the first exam is the worst. There's not a great way to prepare for the volume of information you are expected to absorb. It's like drinking from a fire hose. But, most people do adapt, and you'll surprise yourself at what you can do pretty soon. Be sure to concentrate on finding an effective study pattern. Just staring at books and notes won't make the information stick, you have to be active.
Finally, the drop out rate is a nebulous thing. It's really hard to ever know for sure, because it's so convoluted there. People repeat semester, people fail and leave, people repeat the COMP multiple times, such that when you graduate, the faces around you will likely be very different than the faces you started with. The 7% you mentioned are the NET 7%, that is to say, they're the ones who are still around to take the COMP 3 times and fail. So 7% is not the attrition rate, the true number is much higher.
Keep working and studying. Don't let one or two bad tests get you down. This is basic training, it's meant to be hard, but when you're done, medicine will be second nature, and you'll be prepared to do this higher calling.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

shrink wrote:I went to Ross and I can tell you that it's a dynamic situation as far as tests go. True, the material is theoretically the same, but the questions are written by the faculty there, and some of them are just awful. When I was there, we had a student who was on the test review board thingy, and they would routinely get poor questions thrown out after an exam.
That being said, the first exam is the worst. There's not a great way to prepare for the volume of information you are expected to absorb. It's like drinking from a fire hose. But, most people do adapt, and you'll surprise yourself at what you can do pretty soon. Be sure to concentrate on finding an effective study pattern. Just staring at books and notes won't make the information stick, you have to be active.
Finally, the drop out rate is a nebulous thing. It's really hard to ever know for sure, because it's so convoluted there. People repeat semester, people fail and leave, people repeat the COMP multiple times, such that when you graduate, the faces around you will likely be very different than the faces you started with. The 7% you mentioned are the NET 7%, that is to say, they're the ones who are still around to take the COMP 3 times and fail. So 7% is not the attrition rate, the true number is much higher.
Keep working and studying. Don't let one or two bad tests get you down. This is basic training, it's meant to be hard, but when you're done, medicine will be second nature, and you'll be prepared to do this higher calling.
This Doctor of course knows first hand, He's a Good Guy listen to him!

I guess my take on these things was I heard the same stories back in 2006 and 2007 during basic science.
About my school and other Schools, they "Fail you out".

I think Ross is doable, you just have to make up your mind if you want to stay or transfer to like AUC or SGU. I here about AUC and problems the least.

GL