State licencing

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

SGTmeth

State licencing

Post by SGTmeth »

Hi,

Could someone tell me how would I ever manage to practice in any state in USA once I have finished my MD and passed all USMLE exams if the university I studied at is not listed on the 'medical schools recognised' list of any or all state boards.

The university however, does have WHO and IMED accreditation.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: State licencing

Post by CaribMD »

SGTmeth wrote:Hi,

Could someone tell me how would I ever manage to practice in any state in USA once I have finished my MD and passed all USMLE exams if the university I studied at is not listed on the 'medical schools recognised' list of any or all state boards.

The university however, does have WHO and IMED accreditation.

http://www.fsmb.org/

Is the school on the California list? If so then your good for just about all 50
If not then about 42 on case by case basis

But you need a residency in the US first, 3 years at least.

GL

SGTmeth

Post by SGTmeth »

Hi,

Could you tell me whether it is at all possible to get licensed in other states if the medical school is not listed on their approved list (and neither on the disapproved list) ?

Is the process long and expensive?

Because if you cannot, I will not join this January and reapply next round, better to be late than never....

Thanks.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

SGTmeth wrote:Hi,

Could you tell me whether it is at all possible to get licensed in other states if the medical school is not listed on their approved list (and neither on the disapproved list) ?

Is the process long and expensive?

Because if you cannot, I will not join this January and reapply next round, better to be late than never....

Thanks.

Licensing is Case by case with each state.
Between 600 and 1200 per state.

But once you pass step one and two and get the certification with ECMFG then you apply through the match and the residency you match into takes care of the training License.
You cannot apply for a License in the USA anywhere until you do a US residency for 3 years.

SGTmeth

Post by SGTmeth »

No matter how good you are there is always a great disadvantage in being either a FMG (and perhaps a greater one if you are IMG)...

Is this true?