Ranking Offshore Medical Schools

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

IMG_MD

Ranking Offshore Medical Schools

Post by IMG_MD »

Hello,
I am currently a Caribbean medical student. While in school, I had the opportunity to visit several islands and schools.

The landscape has changed with regard to how students view the Caribbean as an option since there have been new schools emerging over the last decade. As such, I found an article about ranking medical schools which I hope can stir up some thoughts amongst the readers.

Article: http://www.sxmislandtime.com/island-news/24797-ranking-offshore-medical-schools.html

foville1859
Gunner
Gunner

Re: Ranking Offshore Medical Schools

Post by foville1859 »

It's a good concept, even to make a list of all of the schools, and which ones are recognized by the USA, is useful.

Especially for US students who have not been to any of the Caribbean islands, because they will be entering "uncharted waters". And some of the schools are sketchy, as described in the article.

The first column of the chart should not be called "Chance of Success", it would be better to just call it "rating", because the real placement percentages are unknown.

IMG_MD

Post by IMG_MD »

Yeah, I thought the article proposed an interesting idea (although not really well written or described).

I was told that the only reason these schools get any recognition at all is because some officials (i.e., Ministry of Health or whom ever that may consist of) writes a letter to the World Health Organization. There is no approval process, just an administrative task.

Having been to some of these islands, I think any savvy businessman who can donate 100K to the island's current political party and promise to bring business to the island can get such a letter sent to the WHO.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Well........... I graduated from Aureus and the ranking is strange. Aureus does have some of the best cores I have attended for a "Non big 3". The Clinical Director is in Baltimore MD and you do cores along side of US medical students, this is the best you can hope for. Clinical time with US students to prove we learn the same and perform as well or better to the Residency directors. Key to a residency in 2013 is contacts not what school unless you went to a US medical School.

IMG_MD

Post by IMG_MD »

I agree, the ranking is strange...I would never give a Caribbean school a 100% rating (i.e., AUC).

Congrats on your success at Aureus. I have never been to Aruba, but its obviously one of the better islands compared to the Eastern Caribbean isles. I am glad you had a positive experience in your rotations. You're right, having contacts is VERY important since pre- or out-of-match residency slots will be that much more crucial for Caribbean students in the coming competitive years.