So the Downfall of....

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

Atriety
Scutophile
Scutophile

So the Downfall of....

Post by Atriety »

Okay, I have a question about attending a Caribbean Medical School. What is the downfall of going overseas to study? I mean, I know it's easier to get in than schools in my state (i.e. Stanford, UCSF, UCD...ect). Is it harder to get a match that you want or something? I just don't get why people would stay in school to get their M.A. or even Ph.D. to stay in the states.
Is it looked down upon to attend a Caribbean School? Because I think I read once that the Medical School is important, but its where you get your residency that really counts a lot? And is there a difference from getting your M.D. from persay UC Davis and getting your M.D. from Ross U?

(I am mostly referring to the 'Big 4' when I say Caribbean Medical Schools)... if that helps.

Thanks!

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Re: So the Downfall of....

Post by krust3 »

Atriety wrote:Okay, I have a question about attending a Caribbean Medical School. What is the downfall of going overseas to study? I mean, I know it's easier to get in than schools in my state (i.e. Stanford, UCSF, UCD...ect). Is it harder to get a match that you want or something? I just don't get why people would stay in school to get their M.A. or even Ph.D. to stay in the states.
Is it looked down upon to attend a Caribbean School? Because I think I read once that the Medical School is important, but its where you get your residency that really counts a lot? And is there a difference from getting your M.D. from persay UC Davis and getting your M.D. from Ross U?
(I am mostly referring to the 'Big 4' when I say Caribbean Medical Schools)... if that helps.

Thanks!

yes, it's where you do your residency that counts.... but where you go to school plays a role in determining where you get a residency acceptance!

UCD vs. Ross U???!!!!..... you're kidding.

the big 4 are reasonable options for those who are left out from U.S. schools. period. they should not be a first option. there is a difference.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: So the Downfall of....

Post by CaribMD »

krust3 wrote:
Atriety wrote:Okay, I have a question about attending a Caribbean Medical School. What is the downfall of going overseas to study? I mean, I know it's easier to get in than schools in my state (i.e. Stanford, UCSF, UCD...ect). Is it harder to get a match that you want or something? I just don't get why people would stay in school to get their M.A. or even Ph.D. to stay in the states.

Thanks!

yes, it's where you do your residency that counts.... but where you go to school plays a role in determining where you get a residency acceptance!

UCD vs. Ross U???!!!!..... you're kidding.

the big 4 are reasonable options for those who are left out from U.S. schools. period. they should not be a first option. there is a difference.

I dissagree to some degree since I have friends who matched at Cook county, Harvard and Johns Hopkins Residencies to name a few and a few of them went to other Caribbean, one from my school, Step scores were the deciding factor in all of these ( these people did really well like 240 and above.)

I tend to think the school matters but a good step score will get you far.

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by krust3 »

fact of the matter remains that doors will be automatically closed to caribbean (and or foreign grads) period.

the numbers of carib matches into residencie like what you've mentioned are insignificant when contemplating the reality of the matter.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

krust3 wrote:fact of the matter remains that doors will be automatically closed to caribbean (and or foreign grads) period.

the numbers of carib matches into residencie like what you've mentioned are insignificant when contemplating the reality of the matter.

What? Automatically? There are a few Residency programs who do not accept FMGs ( I have a list that FP for instance).
Obviously these residencies where not closed to FMGs, The schools were:
SGU
Ross
St. James (Cook County this year)
St. Chris (yes the old st. Chris that closed down)
St. Matthews

3 in that list are not all 50 states and the step scores were all above 240 so if you do really well then good things can happen. All were within the last 5 years the last three were within the last 2.
This site lets you see FMG friendly for free

http://www.blahblah.com/lists.html

I have known hundreds af FMGs in good residencies through out my 18 yrs as an RN, in fact I have already lined up a residency in Rural FP for myself.

I do think it's better to stay in the US for medschool but not everybody is able to be accepted and I do agree the path is not always easy and some residencies may be out of reach due to Step score and FMG combination. But an FMG who has a really good step score and did greenbook rotations will have a bright future.

Yes it's just my opinon but I have experience on the sidelines too.