So the Downfall of....

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

Atriety
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by Atriety »

So, wanting to be an Anesthesiologist, would it be better to stay in U.S. and get D.O. or overseas to a Caribbean school to get M.D.?

Why am I getting mixed comments both good and bad about Caribbean schools?

victronics
Gunner
Gunner

Post by victronics »

make the carribean option a second choice. try to get into a US school, only go to the carribean school when every other options fails. going through a DO or an MD program is a personal choice. you do not have to do what every one else is doing. as a DO in the US you are considered a complete Dr so go for it if you get in. I'm originally from a country that do not know what a DO is, so for me an MD is the best option.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

Atriety wrote:So, wanting to be an Anesthesiologist, would it be better to stay in U.S. and get D.O. or overseas to a Caribbean school to get M.D.?

Why am I getting mixed comments both good and bad about Caribbean schools?

You have a better chance all around staying in the US for that Specialty,

FP, IM, Peds, OB, Ortho probably okay from the Caribbean

If you had to go Caribbean then your chances are not as good unless you were at the top for Anesthesiologist

Thats what I'm saying

krust3
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by krust3 »

OLDPRO wrote:

Thats what I'm saying

i have to disagree with you on this one my friend.

ortho is unobtainable from a carib residency... that is, unless you are willing to gamble on being one of the lucky .001% of FMG's that do get an ortho spot.

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

krust3 wrote:
OLDPRO wrote:

Thats what I'm saying

i have to disagree with you on this one my friend.

ortho is unobtainable from a carib residency... that is, unless you are willing to gamble on being one of the lucky .001% of FMG's that do get an ortho spot.

It's okay to disagree,
but the fact is I have MD friends who went to Ross and SGU who are Ortho, A Trauma Surgeon and another Chief resident IM. So to say good specialities and residencies do not happen, means that you may not be well informed, In FP alone there are 460 programs for instance. I really think this is a Myth since I have known these Docs for years. FMGs and IMGs in parts of the USA dominate the market.

I really think the step score matters the most, qualifications matter the most and IMG's and FMG's can be more qualified than a student who went to a US school if the Step score is 99th percentile and the US student is a lot lower.

To be fair, the reason a lot of FMGs from the Caribbean do not get into certain speciality is not the school it is the step score, they tend to be lower, this may be due to the fact they are not as good at test taking as US students, ( thats why they ended up in the Carib in the first place many times)