carib job prospect vs do job prospects?

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

jjy2103

carib job prospect vs do job prospects?

Post by jjy2103 »

so far the consensus has been the do is better than caribbean... from the previous posts...

is this because the difficulty of placing into residency if you goto carib, i.e. you have to score very high on USMLE even if you goto big 4?

the thing with DO is...do will always follow you..even if you take USMLE....
and i heard it is harder for do to get jobs in major cities like LA or NY...if you r a DO you will get passed over for MD with same qualification...

is this true?

but carib MD will be an MD...will your emplyers care that your MD came from carib school?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: carib job prospect vs do job prospects?

Post by CaribMD »

jjy2103 wrote:so far the consensus has been the do is better than caribbean... from the previous posts...

is this because the difficulty of placing into residency if you goto carib, i.e. you have to score very high on USMLE even if you goto big 4?

and i heard it is harder for do to get jobs in major cities like LA or NY...if you r a DO you will get passed over for MD with same qualification...

is this true?

but carib MD will be an MD...will your emplyers care that your MD came from carib school?

NO! It matters for residency only not after, there are some residencies that do not "Match" FMGs and IMGs

That said it's only a few the 100's of other residency programs look at the Step scores.

Good Luck. :wink:

shrink
Jr. House Staff
Jr. House Staff

Post by shrink »

I agree with your opinion
and old pro is right, there are only a few who simply will not take an FMG as a resident. People will argue untill the cows come home about DO vs. carib. but to get a residency it is at least equal for both, and DO will always be your title, long after you have finished residency.