Permanent US Resident.

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

victronics
Gunner
Gunner

Post by victronics »

that should be fine, but check the homeland security website it used to be called INS

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: Permanent US Resident.

Post by CaribMD »

victronics wrote:
falcon21 wrote:So i immigrated to the us 9 years ago.. im a legal permanent resident (have a green card) .. but i have yet to apply for citizenship.

However, im planning on attending a school in the caribbeans. Question is "do i need a visa to go down there? and What about on the way back to the US? Do they check ur citizenship status?"

you will need your present country of citizen passport and aplly for a visa if your country is listed in the ones reqiured to have a visa to visit or study in the island you are intrested in.. some of the countries in the caibean do not reqiure certain countries to have a visa but just a passport so look into this very well. you will need the green card to come back into the country so be sure your green card does not expire while you are over there. and do not stay longer than a year without coming back into the country at least once.

Yes I agree in your case go back every break then you are fine I think, I'm a US citizen and stayed out for over 2 years abroad but I didn't have one lick of trouble, I would double check to be safe but I think you will be fine, one this you should do in advanced, Holland ( the country that controls some of the islands the big 4 are on) requires a Apostiled Birth Certificate, If I was you I would get that done, it is simple a Birth Certificate from the country you were born in with a Seal from that country. It takes time to get these done so having it already done ahead of time saves you a lot of hassle.

falcon21

Post by falcon21 »

u no about how long that usually takes?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

falcon21 wrote:u no about how long that usually takes?

It took me 6 weeks to get it all done and to Chicago.