smoker

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

Game
Gunner
Gunner

smoker

Post by Game »

hey i have a friend who was also accepted to SGU and AUC. he is worried because he is a smoker. he is trying to quit but the question is, can he be denied acceptance if he is a smoker?

he thinks that if he has to take a blood test etc, it will show up and he will be denied admission. is this true? thanks

CaribMD
The One
The One

Post by CaribMD »

WEll...................HELL NO, many smoke, yes many Docs do,

BUT HE should quit now 100000000% because with all the stress in Medschool
(Just finished Basic Sci yesterday got exams Mon and thurs) He will never be able to quit!

All of you will learn not only is there a chance for Cancer with smoking but it just about leads to many different known diseases including cancer, some 99.9% sure it does.

It will shorten his/her life no doubt about it.

Tell them I said so! :wink:

DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DeepRoller »

No, it won't matter. In most of the rest of the world, the people teach their children to smoke.
The U.S. is the only place where we treat smokers like lepers and seek to punish them, otherwise.
Besides, there's no serological test for nicotine (or anything else in cigarettes).

Michael

will381796
Fellow
Fellow

Re: smoker

Post by will381796 »

Game wrote:hey i have a friend who was also accepted to SGU and AUC. he is worried because he is a smoker. he is trying to quit but the question is, can he be denied acceptance if he is a smoker?

he thinks that if he has to take a blood test etc, it will show up and he will be denied admission. is this true? thanks

Just tell him not to smoke on campus if they have a "no smoking on campus" policy. The med school here in San Antonio does; I don't know if its a universal thing. But breaking that policy will never be a good thing to have on your record as a med student.

Aspiring in Alaska
Sub-I
Sub-I

Post by Aspiring in Alaska »

No, there are a lot of smokers here on campus. They have these cool little deals that keep open the doors to the SuperDorms, and also functions as an ash tray in disguise. I see several people taking smoking breaks inbetween each lecture.

Apparently, the selection of tobacoo isn't that great though, so i've heard many people bring over what they like to smoke from the US.