Is it worth it??

Caribbean and Foreign medical school discussion: accreditation, costs, US residency match rates...

Moderator: CaribMD

Ravens99

Is it worth it??

Post by Ravens99 »

I have done research on many schools and it now it is time time to make a decision.

Due to my poor GPA in university and not having written the MCAT a Caribbean school is my last resort.

I would like to know what you guys think. I am interested in Xavier in Aruba and plan on attending this September or January.

Once completed my goal is to return to Canada to practice, but is this actually a reasonable goal because Xavier is not the most prestigious of the Caribbean schools. Assuming my licensing exams are average are my chances of a residency good or bad? Obviously I'm going in with higher expectations of myself but I would like to use average as an example. Is it worth going and spending the time and money on something that is a lost cause? There would be nothing worse than studying every day for four years to realize it was all for nothing and that obtaining a Canadian residency is out of reach.

Please straight shoot me because this decision is clearly life altering and many of you are well aware of the realization pertaining to this matter.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Game
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Game »

As a Canadian who has done a lot of research in this area, I can assure you that by going to Xavier, you will have virtually no chance of obtaining a residency in Canada.

Even if you go to a Big 4 school, your chances are still very small.

You should spend some time to evaluate yourself and improve your stats.

You should write the MCAT!!!!

Good luck

DeepRoller
Gunner
Gunner

Post by DeepRoller »

Have you considered a Polish school? There are tons of Canadians at Poznan, Lodz, Warsaw, Gdansk, Krakow, and others.

There's plenty of financial aid available for Canadians. And you're not really limited at all by going there.

You'd be surprised how nice Poland is.

I'd be glad to fill you in, if you're interested.

Michael

Ravens99

Post by Ravens99 »

Thanks guys,

So basically is what your saying is don't do it if I plan on returning to Canada. Is it the same odds if I were to try and gain admission into an American residency coming from Xavier? Probably. I would write my MCAT but I don't think there is any point because with a poor GPA and a good MCAT Canadian and American schools are still out of the question anyway.

Mike it's not the fact that a ton of Canadians go to those polish schools because this is the case for many Caribbean schools as well, it is the amount of Canadians that are able to get a Canadian residency when completed.

I would have no problem going anywhere in the world if it meant after my 4 or 5 years I could come home, but that seems to be out of the question.

Thanks for your comments

Game
Gunner
Gunner

Post by Game »

Actually I am suggesting that you write the MCAT to give you a chance at a Big 4 school. If you do very well on the MCAT, then they may very well look past your poor GPA.

Good luck