Girlfriend of Med Student

Da Bears and other important distractions...

Moderators: Adminnaoum, flipsoid

wackie
Sub-I
Sub-I

Re: Dating a med student too... any ideas on how to stay san

Post by wackie »

Oh. My. God. Another one?

People who have decided to date medical students or residents must realize they are agreeing to the following:

1. That you are not as important as school or work.
2. You will not see them much.
3. If you decide you need attention, most likely they will be the wrong person to call.
4. You will feel like a booty call instead of a boyfreind/girlfreind.

This is a path they've chosen. They've worked their asses off for at least 4 years, a lot of them for longer, and it would be rediculous to throw it away over a girlfreind/boyfreind who is needy. A lot of time apart is the deal. If you can't handle it, do both of you a favor and leave the relationship.
Becoming a doctor isn't like getting a bachelor's in basket weaving. It takes a lot of WORK.
If you love (or even like someone) more than yourself, you will do what it takes to help them, not hinder them. It is unfair to drag someone away from an overwhelming plate of life called "Being/Becoming a doctor" because you just watched an episode of Darma and Greg where they cuddled on the couch and told each other how they would never spend time apart because they loooooved each other sooooo much (awww...*kiss, kiss*). Helping them, liking them, or even loving them could mean leaving them alone.
Get some freinds if you're lonely. If you want to spend time with the med student, help make flash cards or hold them up.

Arboth
Sub-I
Sub-I

BJ

Post by Arboth »

Make sure to give it up everytime u meet and do really dirty stuff. Let him do things that he wouldnt do to a farm animal. hahahahahahahaha

OneDay
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Dating a med student too... any ideas on how to stay san

Post by OneDay »

heyya wrote:Hi, I'm also dating a med student in his 2nd year. Right now he's studying for the USMLE step 1 and I'm having a hard time not being able to spend time together. When we are together, it's great, but then he feels guilty for not studying.

How do I get through the next two months?

wait it out ... and just think u might be married to a Dr. one day hahah every girls' mom's dream LOLOL j/k but if its serious work on it :) don't give up

this_barb
Gunner
Gunner

Post by this_barb »

The general impression that I'm getting is that dating a med school student = bad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

racerwoman
Gunner
Gunner

There are no advantages to dating/marrying a physician...

Post by racerwoman »

I'm sorry, this post is going to be particularly acrimonious and unpleasant. But it needs to be said.

I agree with the previous post. I don't think there are advantages to marrying a medical student or a physician. I met my EX-bf in college and he was darling. He was warm, kind, loving, and smiled from his heart. He went to medical school and he changed. Like REALLY changed. I can understand the pride and the pressure. I can understand the time and the priorities. I dont understand the snobbiness and sudden a**hole qualities that begin to emerge. This is not just coming from this one experience. I work at the NIH and like every other physician acts like a jerk. I dont. know. why. Even the female med students act like they're better than everyone else. The foreign physicians don't act like this, by the way.

Men are totally and utterly deluded if they think women dig physicians. Independent women will be glad to date a physician and a woman who doesn't want time with her husband will be glad for the spoils but the "advantages" don't outweigh the attitude and demanding behavior of type-A physicians.

I know 2 non-physician women who are basically secretaries for their husbands. They have their own careers but have to deal with the annoying condescension their husbands subject them to. One wife has to deal with her husband telling her what to do all the time, paying all the bills and having to wait for him to finish his endless fellowships before they can start a family while they live on a less-than-physician-perfect salary.

For the women I know who are physicians, men are intimidated by them and so for a woman to find someone, it has to be a physician or someone with just as much of a time-restriction/degree of education.

Needless to say, my ex and I didn't work out. I'm sure he's still a lovely human being, he just lost his human-ness somewhere in medical school. Ironic, huh?

Annoyed.
RW