ADVICE about MED SCHOOL - Please Help!

Preparing and applying for medical school.

Sponsored by the Premed Status Report. Analyzes over 20 variables to estimate your chances of getting into medical school.

Moderators: cheechootrain, Vonsmack, AL_emt

jennairv13

ADVICE about MED SCHOOL - Please Help!

Post by jennairv13 »

I graduated from college with a BS in Psychology. Now I want to go to med school; however, I don't really qualify because my degree is in Psychology and not Biology or etc.

I considered doing a post bacc program to gain qualifications but it looks like the only one offered in Texas requires you to have a degree in Bio, Chem, Phy etc. and to have already taken the MCAT which doesn't work for me either because I am far from ready to take the MCAT.

Do I have to go back and get a second bachelors in Biology? Or is there some other way?

If I did go back for a second bachelor degree, how long would that take?

Thanks for your advice!

xuan
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: ADVICE about MED SCHOOL - Please Help!

Post by xuan »

You don't need to have a 2nd degree in Biology. However, you need to take pre-med requirements:
1. One year of Biology and Labs. Some upper division courses(2 to 3 courses) in Biochem, Genetics, Molecular, Physiology are also required.
2. Two years of Chemistry (including 1 year of Organic Chemistry) and labs.
3. One year of English. (You likely met this requirement already).
4. One year of Math (You may partly or fully met this requirement).
5. One year in Physics.
It may take you about one year and a half or 2 years to complete those.

jennairv13

Post by jennairv13 »

Thank you so much, but now I have another question.

If it's going to take me around two years to take all those prereq courses, why don't I just go ahead and get a second bachelors in Bio?-- which should only take about 2 years also.

It seems like it will take about 2 years to take the prereqs, and it should only take about 2 years to get another bachelors, (all my basic classes should transfer - so that will leave about 2 years of advanced Bio courses I would need to take).

xuan
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by xuan »

You may be right. If you manage to take all mre-med prerequisites and able to complete all requirements for a Bachelor in Biology, that may be the way to go. Let me remind you, that is just my opinion, and you need to make the decision for yourself maybe after getting advices from others. Please feel free to jump in.