WHY...

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

pre-med girl

WHY...

Post by pre-med girl »

...do DO schools accept people with gpa's lower than those in MD schools? is it because it's a newer program?

CaribMD
The One
The One

Re: WHY...

Post by CaribMD »

pre-med girl wrote:...do DO schools accept people with gpa's lower than those in MD schools? is it because it's a newer program?

Has to do simply with the application pool ( the competition) if people with higher GPA's and MCATs would keep applying then the average would be higher.

It was not long ago a person with a 2.8 and 24 MCAT had a shot at DO schools now its higher, you should have a 3.2 and 27 MCAT at least.

so its changed over time.

Also many many premeds still hold to the old myths about DO's that they are different then MD Doctors. No they are the same.

tramflap
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by tramflap »

The gap is getting smaller every year as far as matriculant GPA and MCAT.

As an osteopathic medical student, i think that DO schools really look at the whole package, not just scores (I am a prime example of this). That may be another reason for the differences in GPA and MCAT. That being said, I am receiving an amazing education, and wouldn't do it any differently if I had the option.

OlufunshoBY
Fellow
Fellow

Post by OlufunshoBY »

to cap that off, You should always aim for a 4.0 and >30 MCAT scores. whether looking at DO or MD schools

pre-med girl

Post by pre-med girl »

Thanks for the advice! :D