Why does wine oxidize to vinegar but not whisky?

Da Bears and other important distractions...

Moderators: Adminnaoum, flipsoid

IMNOTDRPHIL
Scutophile
Scutophile

Re: Why does wine oxidize to vinegar but not whisky?

Post by IMNOTDRPHIL »

Vega wrote:Now if you introduce bacteria to the vodka or whisky or beer, then would it then turn to vinegar?

Bacteria added into beer would turn it into vinegar, but the high alcohol content of the liquor would kill the bacteria and prevent them from doing anything.

In regards to the wine turning into vinegar, how does storing wine on it's side prevent the wine from slowly turning into vinegar compared to wine that sits upright over a period of time? Is this because air is allowed to circulate in a upright bottle but not a bottle that sits on it's side? If that's so, then wouldn't the air in a wine bottle on it's side eventually promote the wine turning into vinegar? I realize the air in the bottle doesn't circulate and is stale but it would seem that the wine would turn a little to the point that it uses up the little bit of air in the sideways wine bottle.

I'm betting it has to deal with the fact that it's impossible to store an uncorked bottle of wine on its side, while an upright bottle of wine can be left uncorked. Leaving the cork out is what lets air circulate and allows the bacteria to turn wine into vinegar.

KelvinRudd

Post by KelvinRudd »

wow you guys really know your stuff. Undergrad would have been so interesting with you guys around.

IMNOTDRPHIL
Scutophile
Scutophile

Post by IMNOTDRPHIL »

KelvinRudd wrote:wow you guys really know your stuff. Undergrad would have been so interesting with you guys around.

This particular topic is pretty much straight from my undergrad as I was in engineering instead of something more typical like biology. We covered fermentation during one of the bioprocess engineering courses I took. We also got to do neat stuff like make and program basic microcontrollers, code in Linux on computers we built from parts, prove why the Tacoma Narrows bridge had failed, and get into the real nuts and bolts of how different imaging modalities (US, CT, MRI) work. It didn't help me all that much in medical school as knowing how modifying the Fourier transform on a CT image reconstruction will change edge detection won't help me to make a diagnosis from the CT image, but it was fun nonetheless.

cheechootrain
Premed Moderator
Premed Moderator

Post by cheechootrain »

oh, never knew that :roll:

GreyWeirCat

Post by GreyWeirCat »

I would imagine that wine turned on it side will keep the cork moist and tight. We had a 7-11 owner have to sell all his wide assortment of wine very cheap...he had kept them on display for too long. I would be interested in the maximum percentage of alcohol that will turn to vinegar. For example a wine made from 23% turbo yeast.