undergrad school

Issues specific to osteopathic medical education and practice as a DO.

Moderator: OlufunshoBY

olgeezer114

undergrad school

Post by olgeezer114 »

While looking through all the posts about chances and each MD or DO school's average acceptance statistics, it seems like acceptance is entirely based on numbers, but my question, how much do you think these schools consider where the applicants went undergrad. Personally, I go to a highly accredited and competitive undergraduate school where I feel my 3.3 should get me farther than a 3.3 from an average state school. What are your thoughts?

wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Post by wagdog1 »

Grades are not a reflection of competitiveness of a school.

Grade curving may occur to a greater extent at a smaller private school than at a large state school in which "weeding" is more likely to take place.

There are more factors in play than you seem to realize.

olgeezer114

Post by olgeezer114 »

you seem to have missed my point. i understand grades are not a reflection of the competitiveness of a school, the school itself is. my question was, if the forum felt the med schools consider the competitiveness of the school or just blindly follow the numbers.

anamaky
Medical Student Moderator
Medical Student Moderator

Post by anamaky »

your 3.3 is just that 3.3, doesn't matter from which school. the adcoms won't see a 3.3 and think 3.6 because you went to whatever school. you still need a high MCAT to make up for the low GPA.

wagdog1
Gunner
Gunner

Post by wagdog1 »

sorry I guess I jumped the gun without really considering your question... I agree.. I'd say that unless your school has a huge reputation of inflating grades or of not curving that you will be viewed as what you've earned. Best idea I can think of is to call adcoms at schools you are looking at and anonymously asking for their opinion.

Best of luck. I am in the same boat... 3.23 gpa -- try to do well on your MCAT -- in particular the verbal reasoning section from what I've read.